Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyers
Every day throughout Brooklyn, residents and visitors sustain severe, catastrophic, and even fatal injuries because of someone else’s careless or reckless actions. Maybe you suffered an injury on Prospect Expressway while traveling through the Park Slope and Windsor Terrace neighborhoods. Perhaps you suffered a misdiagnosis or medical injury at the Brooklyn Hospital Medical Center? Or maybe you got into a motorcycle accident while attending Two Wheel Tuesday in Ryder’s Alley?
No matter how you suffered an injury in Brooklyn, you deserve to have someone on your side that understands the issues and complications you may face. You need a law firm that can dedicate their time and energy to helping you get the compensation you need to recover.
New York law entitles victims of these incidents to seek compensation from the people, businesses, and organizations whose actions caused them harm. The Brooklyn personal injury lawyers of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, stand tall in a commitment to making sure those innocent victims of wrongdoing receive every penny they deserve.
Our Brooklyn Personal Injury Practice
Since the early 1970s, Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, has set the standard in Brooklyn and around the New York-New Jersey-Connecticut tri-state area for representing victims of accidental injury. Our team devotes its entire law practice to helping injured accident victims recover the compensation that they need and deserve to pay for the harm inflicted on them by others.
We have a long track record of success on behalf of our clients. Our recent case results have included:
- Medical malpractice – $1,425,000 for failure to diagnose cancer and a $1,300,000 settlement for failure to monitor post-delivery
- Auto accidents – $1,272,000 settlement for a Webster Avenue auto accident and a $1.1 million settlement for a pedestrian struck in crosswalk
- General personal injury – $950,000 settlement for a baby injured due to a negligent Bronx landlord and a $500,000 verdict against a contractor held accountable for unsafe home renovations
- Workplace accident – $600,000 workers compensation settlement for a security guard who fell at work
These are just examples of our successes. They do not guarantee any particular result in your case. Still, clients of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, can always rest easier knowing that they have a law firm behind them with a strong reputation for winning in and out of court. Our lawyers fight to achieve the best outcome for every client’s case, day-in, day-out.
We have an office in Brooklyn to better serve you because we believe that you should not have to travel far to find the help you deserve. When you suffer an injury in Brooklyn, you can rest easier knowing you have a local law firm on your side that knows the streets, the hospitals, the courts, and the insurance companies that may be a part of your case. This familiarity and local presence give us a significant advantage when building your case.
To learn more about how we can help you after an injury accident, contact our law firm for a free initial case review and consultation. You can visit us at 8701 3rd Avenue located in Bay Ridge just a block from the 86th street station. We can also meet you in your home or hospital room after your injury, or meet with you virtually to better serve you. Call us at 877-488-1707 or fill out our confidential contact form.
“I highly recommend this law firm, very responsible and keep [on] top of your case.”
How Much is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
What damages can be recovered for victims of personal injury?
Victims of personal injury often face a dilemma. Their injury has suddenly saddled them with unexpected and mounting expenses, but to recover from their injury they must take time off from work. This deprives them of the income they need to pay their debt and expenses. A sudden loss of income can financially burden already struggling families and make it feel like an impossible situation.
Fortunately, we can help. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our personal injury lawyers can help Brooklyn accident victims escape the financial bind created by someone else’s wrongful conduct.
In a lawsuit seeking compensation for a Brooklyn personal injury, victims can typically seek to recover:
- Lost wages – Injuries cause accident victims to miss work, which is expensive. Injuries can also hamper a victim’s ability to return to the same job, or to work at all, which is even more expensive. In a personal injury lawsuit, experienced personal injury lawyers will typically seek to recover not just the wages their client has missed out on while recovering, but also future earnings that the injury will prevent them from earning.
- Medical bills – Accidental injuries cost money to treat. Even when a Brooklyn personal injury accident victim has good insurance, there are still deductibles and copays to contend with, not to mention that insurance rarely pays for every treatment, medicine, or piece of medical equipment a person needs. In a personal injury lawsuit, lawyers will seek reimbursement of expenses that have already happened, as well as necessary future expenses.
- Pain and Suffering – Some of the harm inflicted by a personal injury does not come with a price tag attached. The pain, suffering, and harm done to an accident victim’s life enjoyment all represent a real cost, even if they are difficult to translate into dollars-and-cents. Experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers can advise clients on recovering money to remedy these “non-economic” harms.
The categories above represent broad examples. Because every personal injury case is different, it is important to speak with one of our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers about all of the harm you have suffered because of someone else’s wrongful actions.
How much money can I receive after a personal injury accident?
Clients also frequently ask us how much money they should expect to recover for their personal injuries. There is no simple answer to that question. There are no guarantees, and the size of a settlement or jury verdict will depend on a range of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your family situation
- State of health
- Severity of your injuries
- Likelihood of making a full recovery
- Financial resources available to pay damages
- Long-term effects and disabilities
Working with one of our experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorneys is the best way to come up with a reasonable and provable estimate of the damages you have suffered. To help determine what your case might be worth, we offer FREE initial consultations and reviews. In this meeting, we can discuss your accident and your injuries more specifically and offer you an idea of what types of damages you may recover.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Types of Brooklyn Accidents and Personal Injuries
There is virtually no end to the potential ways a Brooklyn resident or visitor can suffer accidental harm because of someone else’s careless or reckless actions. Yet, over our many years of law practice, we have represented clients in certain types of accidents, with certain types of injuries, more often than others.
- Motor vehicle accidents – Across New York State, there were more than 400,000 traffic accidents in one recent year. More than 121,000 victims suffered some form of an injury in those crashes, with more than 9,000 injuries being classified as “serious”. Auto accident injuries often include neck-and-shoulder soft tissue damage when there is a rear-end accident, back injuries, and traumatic brain injuries.
Our law firm handles a variety of motor vehicle accident cases, including:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber accidents
- Taxicab accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
Accidents Involving Injuries or Fatalities Citywide
- Defective products/product liability – Defective products cause a host of catastrophic and fatal injuries to consumers every year, including severe burns, poisonings, broken bones, and respiratory ailments. Under New York law, manufacturers of defective products face legal liability for the harm their products cause.
- Medical malpractice – The top three causes of death in the United States are heart disease, cancer, and accidents. Medical malpractice implicates all three. Studies show that one of the most common forms of medical malpractice is a missed diagnosis. Patients with cancer, in particular, are more likely to receive the wrong diagnosis than patients with other conditions. A delay in beginning treatment for a serious illness can put a patient’s life at risk. Other common acts of medical malpractice include surgical errors and dangerous mistakes in prescribing or administering medications.
- Premises accidents – Property owners and occupants have a legal duty to keep visitors to their premises safe. Business owners must fix property hazards and warn customers about them until they are fixed. Private property owners must not put visitors at risk of harm from a known and obvious danger. Property owners who fail in these duties have a legal liability to anyone harmed by an unreasonably dangerous property condition. Slip and fall accidents are one type of premises liability accident.
- Nursing home abuse – We trust nursing and assisted-living facilities to care for elderly and vulnerable members of our families. Unfortunately, some facilities fail to live up to their obligations. At some homes, staff members verbally, physically, and even sexually abuse residents. At others, residents simply get neglected by uncaring, or under-supported, staff. Victims of nursing home abuse and their family members can seek compensation for these harms under New York law from the abusers and nursing facility operators.
These are just some of the scenarios in which clients of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, have sustained accidental injuries that entitle them to compensation. We also help accident survivors who suffered injuries in workplace accidents, construction accidents. No matter how you sustained your Brooklyn personal injury, if someone else was at fault, our team is ready to help you get the money you deserve.
Types of Injuries
How Do We Help Injured Accident Victims in Brooklyn?
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Brooklyn personal injury attorneys know that every injury is different and every injured accident victim faces a unique set of challenges. As such, we work with your medical team to uncover the obstacles, issues, and battles you face – now and in the future. We use this knowledge to help us collect maximum compensation for our clients from the start. Our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers have helped accident survivors who suffered from injuries, including:
- Brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Joint damage
- Internal organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
How to Determine Fault in Brooklyn Personal Injury Cases?
Determining fault in a Brooklyn personal injury case is important and key to recovering damages in excess of your own PIP policy. Sometimes, it seems perfectly obvious who caused an accidental injury. In a drunk driving accident, for example, nine times out of 10 the fault lies with the drunk driver. However, on further investigation, our personal injury attorneys may discover that the bar or tavern that served the drunk driver shared liability and blame. In this scenario, we can seek maximum compensation by filing a claim against both entities.
Here are some examples of who can share legal liability for accidental harm in Brooklyn:
- Liability for car accidents – Drivers may have liability, obviously. So might employers (if the accident involved a commercial vehicle), auto manufacturers (if the accident resulted from a faulty part), and even government entities (if the road was unreasonably dangerous).
- Liability for medical malpractice – The health care professional who makes an error that injures a patient will likely face liability in a medical malpractice case. Other parties who may share liability include health care organizations, medical device and drug manufacturers, and owners of health care facilities.
- Liability for defective products – Product manufacturers have legal liability for their defective products, but so might shippers, retailers, mechanics, and anyone else who handles (and potentially damages) a product in the “stream of commerce.”
- Liability for slip and fall accidents – Property owners face potential liability when someone slips and falls on their premises. So do manufacturers of building products, maintenance contractors, and individual employees.
In every Brooklyn personal injury case, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, takes the broadest reasonable view of who might have legal liability to an injured client. By identifying the full range of potential defendants, our lawyers give our clients the best possible chance of recovering the maximum compensation available under the law.
How Can I Help My Brooklyn Injury Case?
What steps should be taken after a Brooklyn personal injury?
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have decades of experience advising injured Brooklynites about what to do after an accidental injury turns their lives upside down. As we’ve said several times, every case is different.
Almost always, however, three pieces of advice always hold true whenever someone else’s careless or reckless actions leave you injured:
- Follow Your Doctor’s Orders
Nothing is more important than your health. Seeing a doctor is the best way to protect it. After any kind of violent or traumatic accident—whether or not you feel “injured”—seek medical care immediately. Do not wait until you start feeling terrible. Do not assume that just because you feel “okay” immediately after a crash or fall, that you can avoid a doctor’s visit. Get yourself checked out, no matter what. Not only will seeing a doctor protect your wellbeing, but it will also create medical records that tie any injury your doctor finds to the accident, which might prove extremely valuable in a lawsuit down the road.
It is important to follow all doctor’s orders and treatment plans precisely. Insurance companies will look to see if you skipped follow up visits or therapy appointments and use this against you. Fill all medications and keep accurate records of appointments and treatments.
- Refer All Insurance Company Inquiries to Your Lawyer
Chances are you will need to speak with your own insurance company after an accident, and that is fine so long as you do not say something that takes blame for your injuries. If anyone else’s insurance company calls you, however, be extremely wary. A call from the insurance company that covered the “other driver” in a car accident, or the property owner in a slip-and-fall, or anyone else who may have a legal liability to you, means the company thinks it might owe you money and it is hoping to limit its losses. Let a lawyer handle that conversation.
- Hire an Experienced Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney
As soon as possible after your accident, speak with an experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorney. The initial consultation with an attorney is free, and if the two of you agree to work together, most attorneys (including Jacoby & Meyers, LLP) represent injured clients like you on a “contingency” basis in which you do not pay legal fees unless the lawyer recovers money for you first. Hiring a lawyer right away gives you the best chance of recovering the money you deserve; the longer you wait, the more evidence might go missing, witness memories might fade, and insurance companies will think your claims are not serious.
Brooklyn Personal Injury FAQ
Unexpected, preventable incidents can leave Brooklyn residents, workers, and visitors struggling with severe injuries. Victims of these incidents and injuries often struggle with physical pain, financial strain, and emotional turmoil, all because of someone else’s careless, reckless, or intentionally harmful actions.
Brooklyn personal injury victims understandably have lots of questions about their legal rights. Below, we answer some common questions we hear about Brooklyn personal injury cases. For answers to specific questions about an injury you suffered in Brooklyn because of someone else’s unreasonably dangerous decisions or actions, contact the skilled Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today.
What kind of cases do Brooklyn personal injury lawyers handle?
Personal injury lawyers represent people who have suffered physical, emotional, and/or financial harm because of someone else’s wrongful decisions or conduct. Typically, the lawyer takes legal action to secure compensation to pay for the client’s injuries and losses.
People get hurt in Brooklyn in an extremely wide variety of circumstances.
Some of the more common scenarios that lead to a personal injury case include:
- Motor vehicle accidents;
- Falls and other harmful incidents on someone else’s property;
- Workplace incidents, especially on construction sites;
- Dog bites and other pet attacks;
- Abuse and neglect in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities;
- Child sexual abuse;
- Assaults; and
- Cases involving wrongful death.
This is only a partial list, of course. No matter what the circumstances, if a person suffers injuries because someone else’s did something wrong, then a personal injury lawyer can usually help the injured person secure compensation by taking legal action.
How do I know if I have a Brooklyn personal injury case?
If you got hurt in Brooklyn, whether you live there, work there, or were just visiting, and your injuries happened, at least in part, because of someone else’s unreasonably dangerous decisions or actions, then you may have a personal injury case.
In Brooklyn, individuals, companies, and even government entities have legal duties not to act in ways that put other people at an unreasonable risk of getting hurt. If any party fails to live up to those duties, and someone suffers an injury as a result, then that party will often have a legal liability to pay damages to the victim under New York law.
It is not always clear-cut if someone owes you damages for an injury you suffer in Brooklyn. The best way to figure out if you have a case is to have a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after you get hurt. It may surprise you to learn how many parties may have liability to you.
Are Brooklyn personal injury lawyers only for major injuries?
No. If someone else’s wrongful decisions or conduct led to you getting hurt, then no matter what kind of injury you suffered, you may have a Brooklyn personal injury case. There is no requirement that you suffer a particular kind of injury to have a case, and your injury does not have to be “major.” You may have rights under New York law to recover damages for just about any injury someone else’s wrongful behavior causes you.
Do not let the fact that you will heal from your injury, or that your injury was more emotional than physical, prevent you from talking to an experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer about your rights.
How does a lawyer get me paid for my Brooklyn personal injury?
It depends on the circumstances of your injury. The law provides lots of potential avenues for victims of personal injury in Brooklyn to seek compensation. An experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer’s job, broadly speaking, is to evaluate and explore those avenues to figure out which one (or more than one) will get you the compensation you deserve.
Depending upon the client’s needs and circumstances, the legal actions personal injury lawyers often take on behalf of clients can include:
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties in a Brooklyn court;
- Negotiating a settlement with the at-fault party (usually through that party’s insurance company and/or defense lawyer);
- Filing a claim against the victim’s own insurance coverage, such as a workers’ compensation claim or an uninsured motorist claim
As we said, every case is different, so experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers will tailor a strategy to each client’s particular situation.
What kind of compensation can I get for my Brooklyn personal injury?
The specific facts and circumstances of your Brooklyn personal injury case determine what kind of compensation you may have the right to recover. However, generally speaking, in New York, victims of personal injury can usually seek compensation for the following categories of damages.
Economic damages, which are those damages that are easily quantifiable and relate to a person’s actual monetary losses, such as:
- Medical bills (past and future medical expenses)
- Lost Wages (past and future wages)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Personal Property Damages
- Home care services expenses
- Rehabilitative services and physical therapy costs
- Other-out-of pocket expenses
Non-Economic damages, which is the harm a person suffers that is not easily quantifiable in dollars-and-cents, such as:
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of Consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life and activities
- Loss of reputation
Punitive damages, which courts award in some instances when the party at-fault for a Brooklyn personal injury engaged in extremely reckless or outrageous conduct that led to the victim suffering harm.
How much money can a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer get me?
That, too, depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. As each personal injury case is distinct, the amount you can recover also differs based on the facts. Generally speaking, however, the amount of money you may have the right to recover depends on the severity of your injury and the impact it has had on your life. The more pain you felt, the more medical treatment you needed, and the more time and money you spend recovering and/or adapting to your injury, then the more money it may take to compensate you.
Your right to recover money is not the same as your ability to recover money, however. The ability to recover money depends on factors such as the amount of dispute over who has a liability to you, the financial resources those parties with liability have with which to pay you, and the skill and experience of the attorney who represents you in your personal injury claim.
To give yourself the best shot at recovering the full amount of money you have the right to receive, hire a Brooklyn personal injury who has years of experience in cases like yours and a long track record of success to show for it.
How long does a Brooklyn personal injury claim take?
You are probably getting tired of hearing this, but it depends on your unique circumstances. Some cases start and end in a matter of just a few weeks. Some can last a year or more.
Experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers know their clients would like to have money-in-hand as soon as possible, and they work hard to make that happen. However, the factors that affect the duration of a case often lie beyond anyone’s ability to control.
- The amount of investigation needed to prepare your case;
- The amount of dispute between the parties over liability and damages;
- The number of parties who have liability to you; and
- The personalities and working styles of the parties, lawyers, insurance representatives, mediators, and judges who get involved in the case.
You can, however, control when you first meet with a Brooklyn personal injury attorney who can represent you in recovering damages.
Do it as soon as possible. The sooner you have that initial meeting, and the sooner a lawyer begins working on your behalf, the sooner you can hope to arrive at a favorable resolution of your claim that gets you paid what you deserve.
Is there anything I can do to help my Brooklyn personal injury claim succeed?
Circumstances vary, of course, but Brooklyn victims of personal injury can often help their personal injury claims by:
- Seeking medical attention immediately, ideally at the scene of the accident, in a hospital emergency room immediately after, or with a primary care doctor or urgent care clinic within 24 hours. This accomplishes two important goals. First, it protects your health, which is the most important consideration. Second, it creates medical records of your injury and its connection to the incident that caused it, which may prove useful in later legal action.
- Following doctor’s orders. If you want to recover full compensation for your injury, then you need to take the necessary steps to keep yourself in the best possible condition. That means following doctor’s orders for treatment of your Brooklyn personal injury to-the-letter. Never skip appointments, therapy sessions, or doses of medication. Never try to return to physical activity before the doctor signs-off. Making these mistakes could cost you real money in a legal claim by giving defense lawyers and insurance companies ammunition to use against you.
- Collecting and/or preserving evidence. Photos, videos, documents, and items of personal property can all constitute essential evidence in a Brooklyn personal injury claim. When appropriate (and if safe to do so), take pictures or videos at the scene of your injury. Save any items (such as defective consumer products) that played a role in your injury. Do not throw away bills, insurance statements, or receipts relating to expenses your injury caused. Save everything so that your lawyer can review it. You never know what small piece of evidence can make-or-break your case.
- Stay away from social media. These days, people will post just about anything about their lives online. Difficult as it sounds, you can help your case by not talking about it on a social media platform. Insurance companies and defense lawyers will often use posts to challenge a person’s story about getting injured, or about the severity of an injury. To protect your rights, stay away from posting about your injury or about anything else that someone could twist into a reason not to pay you.
- Say “no” to informal or quickie settlement offers. Someone may try to float you a little cash, or a freebie of some kind (like a comped room at a hotel, or a free meal at a restaurant) as a way of making your claim “go away.” Do not fall for these tactics. They could cost you your legal rights, and seldom reflect the full value of your legal claim. Instead, say “no thanks” and let your lawyer negotiate a settlement that gets you the money you deserve.
- Meeting with our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers as soon as you can. We’ve said this already, but it bears repeating: The sooner you have a lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, fighting for the compensation you need, the better your chances of getting paid.
How much will your Brooklyn personal injury lawyers cost me?
Your initial consultation with an experienced Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, personal injury lawyer in Brooklyn will always cost you nothing. Beware of any lawyer who wants to charge you just to talk for the first time about your personal injury claim. Reputable Brooklyn personal injury attorneys like ours will meet with you at no charge to learn about your injury and to explore whether you may have a legal claim for damages.
It will cost you no money up front to hire a lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, to represent you in your Brooklyn personal injury case. Virtually all reputable personal injury attorneys, including ours, represent clients on a contingency fee basis. This is an arrangement in which the lawyer’s fee consists of a percentage of any money the lawyer recovers on the client’s behalf.
The lawyer and client agree on this percentage at the beginning of the case, and the client pays the lawyer nothing unless and until the lawyer delivers results. Through these arrangements, clients can secure top-notch legal representation without having to shoulder any expense.
To learn more about your legal rights after suffering any kind of personal injury in Brooklyn, contact our experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorneys today for a free case evaluation.
We Are Your Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we believe our clients deserve to have a strong advocate on their side. That is why for more than three decades we have provided personal injury representation to Brooklyn dwellers and visitors injured by someone else’s careless or reckless actions. We are not afraid to hold anyone liable for your injuries accountable, whether that means negotiating a reasonable settlement with an insurance company, or taking your case to court, if necessary.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury, or you have lost a loved one, due to the negligent actions of another person, company, or organization, contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today. We are here to help provide victims of personal injury with the legal services they need to obtain the compensation they deserve. We start with a free case evaluation. Call us today at (877)-503-7797 and make an appointment.
8701 3rd Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11209
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“The team and Jocoby & Meyers are excellent. They make sure the client is well taken care of. They are great with communication and they take their time to make sure the client is satisfied. Will definitely recommend.”
Review by: Danielle H.
Check out some of our other reviews.