Two Locations in Brooklyn, NY to Serve You
|Jacoby & Meyers, LLP |
8701 3rd Ave Brooklyn,
|Jacoby & Meyers, LLP |
1711 Kings Hwy,
The Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
Many accidents occur in Brooklyn, causing various injuries and other serious damages. If victims sustain injuries, property damage, and other types of damages and losses, they may be able to recover compensation from the liable party. A reliable Brooklyn personal injury lawyer at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP can help you or a loved one in a personal injury case identify liable parties, collect and organize evidence, and perform other tasks to seek the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Jacoby & Meyers, LLP?
We Handle All Personal Injury Cases in Brooklyn and Throughout New York City
The knowledgeable Brooklyn personal injury attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP work to protect clients’ right to recover after a personal injury accident. We can help recover all types of damages resulting from another party’s negligence or another form of improper conduct.
Our attorneys understand the serious impact preventable incidents and injuries have on victims. We work to pinpoint all liable parties, gather evidence, negotiate with insurers, and provide representation in court if necessary to recover all pertinent damages.
We give each of our clients personalized attention based on their specific needs, with the ability to meet in person or virtually. Our offices are also conveniently located near Brooklyn, with our Manhattan office situated near the Brooklyn Bridge just north of The Battery. We are prepared to represent you regardless of where you were injured in New York.
Reach out to Jacoby & Meyers, LLP today to schedule a free case evaluation and allow skilled legal professionals to determine the viability of your case and discuss your legal options.
Find a Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer Near You
We have an office in Brooklyn to better serve you because we believe that you should not have to travel far to find the help you deserve. When you suffer an injury in Brooklyn, you can rest easier knowing you have a local law firm on your side that knows the streets, the hospitals, the courts, and the insurance companies that may be a part of your case. This familiarity and local presence give us a significant advantage when building your case. We believe that Brooklyn accident victims deserve to have a law firm that can represent them where they live. That is why we are conveniently located in Bay Ridge. We want to talk with you and get to know more about your injuries and your accident. To better help you, we offer free initial consultations and reviews and are here to answer your questions.
To learn more about how we can help you after an injury accident in Brooklyn or anywhere in New York City, contact our law firm for a free initial case review and consultation. You can visit us at 8701 3rd Avenue located in Bay Ridge just a block from the 86th street station. We can also meet you in your home or hospital room after your injury, or meet with you virtually to better serve you. Call us at 877-488-1707 or fill out our confidential contact form.
“I highly recommend this law firm, very responsible and keep [on] top of your case.”
Brooklyn Personal Injury Compensation
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident in Brooklyn and sustain personal injuries, you may be able to recover compensation. Two main types of compensation are involved in these cases: economic and non-economic. Economic damages contribute to financial losses, while non-economic damages involve the victim’s pain, suffering, and other intangible losses.
Some examples of economic damages in Brooklyn personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses, including immediate and ongoing treatment
- Lost wages resulting from injuries and subsequent recovery periods or disability
- Lost earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Accommodations for disability
- Long-term care
Meanwhile, non-economic damages could include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium (relationship)
Additionally, some cases involve punitive damages if the liable parties exhibit unusually egregious behavior. The courts rarely award these, but they do in the hope of preventing similar behavior.
The Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP can help determine all the damages that apply to calculate the compensation our clients deserve.
Other Factors that impact your Personal Injury Claim?
Clients also frequently ask us how much money they should expect to recover for their personal injuries. There is no simple answer to that question. There are no guarantees, and the size of a settlement or jury verdict will depend on a range of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your family situation
- State of health
- The severity of your injuries
- Likelihood of making a full recovery
- Financial resources available to pay damages
- Long-term effects and disabilities
Working with one of our experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorneys is the best way to come up with a reasonable and provable estimate of the damages you have suffered. To help determine what your case might be worth, we offer FREE initial consultations and reviews. In this meeting, we can discuss your accident and your injuries more specifically and offer you an idea of what types of damages you may recover.
Common Types of Accidents and Injuries in Brooklyn Personal Injury Cases
The TSSR and other sources conclude that these are some of the most common accidents to take place in our borough:
- Car Accidents and Truck Accidents – auto accidents involving other drivers, pedestrians, or bicyclists.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors must meet a standard of care when diagnosing or treating conditions for patients, making them liable for malpractice if they breach their duty of care and cause injury to patients.
- Defective products – Certain products may feature design or manufacturing flaws contributing to accidents and injuries.
- Defective drugs – Pharmaceuticals may cause severe injury or illness to consumers.
- Premises liability – If someone is involved in an accident on another person or entity’s property, the property owner may be liable under certain conditions.
- Catastrophic injuries – These are injuries that cause significant and potentially long-term damage to victims, including brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and burn injuries.
- Dog bite accidents – Dog owners may be responsible for injuries involving dog bites if they could have prevented the incident.
- Nursing home abuse – Nursing home staff and administrators often contribute to injuries to patients through different types of abuse and neglect.
- Construction accidents – Construction sites must be consistently safe for workers, making it essential for employers and employees to use the proper equipment and protocols to maintain a safe environment.
- Bad faith insurance – Insurance companies may fraudulently deny, postpone, or fail to investigate an insurance claim out of bad faith.
Additionally, personal injury cases can lead to a wide variety of injuries, such as:
- Head and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Birth injuries
Accidents Involving Injuries or Fatalities Citywide
Who is to Blame in Brooklyn Personal Injury Cases?
Determining fault in a Brooklyn personal injury case is important and key to recovering damages in excess of your own PIP policy. Sometimes, it seems perfectly obvious who caused an accidental injury. In a drunk driving accident, for example, nine times out of 10 the fault lies with the drunk driver. However, on further investigation, our personal injury attorneys may discover that the bar or tavern that served the drunk driver shared liability and blame. In this scenario, we can seek maximum compensation by filing a claim against both entities.
Here are some examples of who can share legal liability for accidental harm in Brooklyn:
- Liability for car accidents – Drivers may have liability, obviously. So might employers (if the accident involved a commercial vehicle), auto manufacturers (if the accident resulted from a faulty part), and even government entities (if the road was unreasonably dangerous).
- Liability for medical malpractice – The health care professional who makes an error that injures a patient will likely face liability in a medical malpractice case. Other parties who may share liability include health care organizations, medical device and drug manufacturers, and owners of health care facilities.
- Liability for defective products – Product manufacturers have legal liability for their defective products, but so might shippers, retailers, mechanics, and anyone else who handles (and potentially damages) a product in the “stream of commerce.”
- Liability for slip and fall accidents – Property owners face potential liability when someone slips and falls on their premises. So do manufacturers of building products, maintenance contractors, and individual employees.
In every Brooklyn personal injury case, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, takes the broadest reasonable view of who might have legal liability to an injured client. By identifying the full range of potential defendants, our lawyers give our clients the best possible chance of recovering the maximum compensation available under the law.
How Can I Help My Brooklyn Injury Case?
What steps should be taken after a Brooklyn personal injury?
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have decades of experience advising injured Brooklynites about what to do after an accidental injury turns their lives upside down. As we’ve said several times, every case is different.
Almost always, however, three pieces of advice always hold true whenever someone else’s careless or reckless actions leave you injured:
- Follow Your Doctor’s Orders
Nothing is more important than your health. Seeing a doctor is the best way to protect it. After any kind of violent or traumatic accident—whether or not you feel “injured”—seek medical care immediately. Do not wait until you start feeling terrible. Do not assume that just because you feel “okay” immediately after a crash or fall, that you can avoid a doctor’s visit. Get yourself checked out, no matter what. Not only will seeing a doctor protect your wellbeing, but it will also create medical records that tie any injury your doctor finds to the accident, which might prove extremely valuable in a lawsuit down the road.
It is important to follow all doctor’s orders and treatment plans precisely. Insurance companies will look to see if you skipped follow up visits or therapy appointments and use this against you. Fill all medications and keep accurate records of appointments and treatments.
- Refer All Insurance Company Inquiries to Your Lawyer
Chances are you will need to speak with your own insurance company after an accident, and that is fine so long as you do not say something that takes blame for your injuries. If anyone else’s insurance company calls you, however, be extremely wary. A call from the insurance company that covered the “other driver” in a car accident, or the property owner in a slip-and-fall, or anyone else who may have a legal liability to you, means the company thinks it might owe you money and it is hoping to limit its losses. Let a lawyer handle that conversation.
- Hire an Experienced Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorney
As soon as possible after your accident, speak with an experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorney. The initial consultation with an attorney is free, and if the two of you agree to work together, most attorneys (including Jacoby & Meyers, LLP) represent injured clients like you on a “contingency” basis in which you do not pay legal fees unless the lawyer recovers money for you first. Hiring a lawyer right away gives you the best chance of recovering the money you deserve; the longer you wait, the more evidence might go missing, witness memories might fade, and insurance companies will think your claims are not serious.
Brooklyn Personal Injury FAQ
Unexpected, preventable incidents can leave Brooklyn residents, workers, and visitors struggling with severe injuries. Victims of these incidents and injuries often struggle with physical pain, financial strain, and emotional turmoil, all because of someone else’s careless, reckless, or intentionally harmful actions.
Brooklyn personal injury victims understandably have lots of questions about their legal rights. Below, we answer some common questions we hear about Brooklyn personal injury cases. For answers to specific questions about an injury you suffered in Brooklyn because of someone else’s unreasonably dangerous decisions or actions, contact the skilled Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Personal injury lawyers represent people who have suffered physical, emotional, and/or financial harm because of someone else’s wrongful decisions or conduct. Typically, the lawyer takes legal action to secure compensation to pay for the client’s injuries and losses.
People get hurt in Brooklyn in an extremely wide variety of circumstances.
Some of the more common scenarios that lead to a personal injury case include:
- Motor vehicle accidents;
- Falls and other harmful incidents on someone else’s property;
- Workplace incidents, especially on construction sites;
- Dog bites and other pet attacks;
- Abuse and neglect in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities;
- Child sexual abuse;
- Assaults; and
- Cases involving wrongful death.
This is only a partial list, of course. No matter what the circumstances, if a person suffers injuries because someone else’s did something wrong, then a personal injury lawyer can usually help the injured person secure compensation by taking legal action.
If you got hurt in Brooklyn, whether you live there, work there, or were just visiting, and your injuries happened, at least in part, because of someone else’s unreasonably dangerous decisions or actions, then you may have a personal injury case.
In Brooklyn, individuals, companies, and even government entities have legal duties not to act in ways that put other people at an unreasonable risk of getting hurt. If any party fails to live up to those duties, and someone suffers an injury as a result, then that party will often have a legal liability to pay damages to the victim under New York law.
It is not always clear-cut if someone owes you damages for an injury you suffer in Brooklyn. The best way to figure out if you have a case is to have a free consultation with an experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after you get hurt. It may surprise you to learn how many parties may have liability to you.
No. If someone else’s wrongful decisions or conduct led to you getting hurt, then no matter what kind of injury you suffered, you may have a Brooklyn personal injury case. There is no requirement that you suffer a particular kind of injury to have a case, and your injury does not have to be “major.” You may have rights under New York law to recover damages for just about any injury someone else’s wrongful behavior causes you.
Do not let the fact that you will heal from your injury, or that your injury was more emotional than physical, prevent you from talking to an experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer about your rights.
It depends on the circumstances of your injury. The law provides lots of potential avenues for victims of personal injury in Brooklyn to seek compensation. An experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyer’s job, broadly speaking, is to evaluate and explore those avenues to figure out which one (or more than one) will get you the compensation you deserve.
Depending upon the client’s needs and circumstances, the legal actions personal injury lawyers often take on behalf of clients can include:
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties in a Brooklyn court;
- Negotiating a settlement with the at-fault party (usually through that party’s insurance company and/or defense lawyer);
- Filing a claim against the victim’s own insurance coverage, such as a workers’ compensation claim or an uninsured motorist claim
As we said, every case is different, so experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers will tailor a strategy to each client’s particular situation.
The specific facts and circumstances of your Brooklyn personal injury case determine what kind of compensation you may have the right to recover. However, generally speaking, in New York, victims of personal injury can usually seek compensation for the following categories of damages.
Economic damages, which are those damages that are easily quantifiable and relate to a person’s actual monetary losses, such as:
- Medical bills (past and future medical expenses)
- Lost Wages (past and future wages)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Personal Property Damages
- Home care services expenses
- Rehabilitative services and physical therapy costs
- Other-out-of pocket expenses
Non-Economic damages, which is the harm a person suffers that is not easily quantifiable in dollars-and-cents, such as:
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of Consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life and activities
- Loss of reputation
Punitive damages, which courts award in some instances when the party at-fault for a Brooklyn personal injury engaged in extremely reckless or outrageous conduct that led to the victim suffering harm.
That, too, depends on the facts and circumstances of your case. As each personal injury case is distinct, the amount you can recover also differs based on the facts. Generally speaking, however, the amount of money you may have the right to recover depends on the severity of your injury and the impact it has had on your life. The more pain you felt, the more medical treatment you needed, and the more time and money you spend recovering and/or adapting to your injury, then the more money it may take to compensate you.
Your right to recover money is not the same as your ability to recover money, however. The ability to recover money depends on factors such as the amount of dispute over who has a liability to you, the financial resources those parties with liability have with which to pay you, and the skill and experience of the attorney who represents you in your personal injury claim.
To give yourself the best shot at recovering the full amount of money you have the right to receive, hire a Brooklyn personal injury who has years of experience in cases like yours and a long track record of success to show for it.
You are probably getting tired of hearing this, but it depends on your unique circumstances. Some cases start and end in a matter of just a few weeks. Some can last a year or more.
Experienced Brooklyn personal injury lawyers know their clients would like to have money-in-hand as soon as possible, and they work hard to make that happen. However, the factors that affect the duration of a case often lie beyond anyone’s ability to control.
- The amount of investigation needed to prepare your case;
- The amount of dispute between the parties over liability and damages;
- The number of parties who have liability to you; and
- The personalities and working styles of the parties, lawyers, insurance representatives, mediators, and judges who get involved in the case.
You can, however, control when you first meet with a Brooklyn personal injury attorney who can represent you in recovering damages.
Do it as soon as possible. The sooner you have that initial meeting, and the sooner a lawyer begins working on your behalf, the sooner you can hope to arrive at a favorable resolution of your claim that gets you paid what you deserve.
Circumstances vary, of course, but Brooklyn victims of personal injury can often help their personal injury claims by:
- Seeking medical attention immediately, ideally at the scene of the accident, in a hospital emergency room immediately after, or with a primary care doctor or urgent care clinic within 24 hours. This accomplishes two important goals. First, it protects your health, which is the most important consideration. Second, it creates medical records of your injury and its connection to the incident that caused it, which may prove useful in later legal action.
- Following doctor’s orders. If you want to recover full compensation for your injury, then you need to take the necessary steps to keep yourself in the best possible condition. That means following doctor’s orders for treatment of your Brooklyn personal injury to-the-letter. Never skip appointments, therapy sessions, or doses of medication. Never try to return to physical activity before the doctor signs-off. Making these mistakes could cost you real money in a legal claim by giving defense lawyers and insurance companies ammunition to use against you.
- Collecting and/or preserving evidence. Photos, videos, documents, and items of personal property can all constitute essential evidence in a Brooklyn personal injury claim. When appropriate (and if safe to do so), take pictures or videos at the scene of your injury. Save any items (such as defective consumer products) that played a role in your injury. Do not throw away bills, insurance statements, or receipts relating to expenses your injury caused. Save everything so that your lawyer can review it. You never know what small piece of evidence can make-or-break your case.
- Stay away from social media. These days, people will post just about anything about their lives online. Difficult as it sounds, you can help your case by not talking about it on a social media platform. Insurance companies and defense lawyers will often use posts to challenge a person’s story about getting injured, or about the severity of an injury. To protect your rights, stay away from posting about your injury or about anything else that someone could twist into a reason not to pay you.
- Say “no” to informal or quickie settlement offers. Someone may try to float you a little cash, or a freebie of some kind (like a comped room at a hotel, or a free meal at a restaurant) as a way of making your claim “go away.” Do not fall for these tactics. They could cost you your legal rights, and seldom reflect the full value of your legal claim. Instead, say “no thanks” and let your lawyer negotiate a settlement that gets you the money you deserve.
- Meeting with our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers as soon as you can. We’ve said this already, but it bears repeating: The sooner you have a lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, fighting for the compensation you need, the better your chances of getting paid.
Your initial consultation with an experienced Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, personal injury lawyer in Brooklyn will always cost you nothing. Beware of any lawyer who wants to charge you just to talk for the first time about your personal injury claim. Reputable Brooklyn personal injury attorneys like ours will meet with you at no charge to learn about your injury and to explore whether you may have a legal claim for damages.
It will cost you no money upfront to hire a lawyer from Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, to represent you in your Brooklyn personal injury case. Virtually all reputable personal injury attorneys, including ours, represent clients on a contingency fee basis. This is an arrangement in which the lawyer’s fee consists of a percentage of any money the lawyer recovers on the client’s behalf.
The lawyer and client agree on this percentage at the beginning of the case, and the client pays the lawyer nothing unless and until the lawyer delivers results. Through these arrangements, clients can secure top-notch legal representation without having to shoulder any expense.
To learn more about your legal rights after suffering any kind of personal injury in Brooklyn, contact our experienced Brooklyn personal injury attorneys today for a free case evaluation.
We Are Your Brooklyn Personal Injury Attorneys
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP Helping New Yorkers With All Personal Injury Claims
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we believe our clients deserve to have a strong advocate on their side. That is why for more than three decades we have provided personal injury representation to Brooklyn dwellers and visitors injured by someone else’s careless or reckless actions. We are not afraid to hold anyone liable for your injuries accountable, whether that means negotiating a reasonable settlement with an insurance company, or taking your case to court, if necessary.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury, or you have lost a loved one, due to the negligent actions of another person, company, or organization, contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today. We are here to help provide victims of personal injury with the legal services they need to obtain the compensation they deserve. We start with a free case evaluation. Call us today at (877)-503-7797 and make an appointment.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“The team and Jocoby & Meyers are excellent. They make sure the client is well taken care of. They are great with communication and they take their time to make sure the client is satisfied. Will definitely recommend.”
Review by: Danielle H.
Check out some of our other reviews.