A serious injury usually happens in a second, sometimes leaving you with a lifetime of medical needs. If someone else caused your injury, you should contact a lawyer to learn about your right to seek compensation for the impacts of your injury. A Brooklyn personal injury lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Time is of the utmost importance because state laws set strict time limits for filing a civil lawsuit.
Common Causes of Brooklyn Accident Injuries
The United States Census Bureau estimates the population of Brooklyn is more than 2.5 million residents. With that many people living in such a small area, tragic accidents are common. Regardless of where or how your accident occurred, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation if someone else’s negligence was a factor. Some of the most common scenarios are described, below.
Brooklyn Traffic Collisions
Thousands of Brooklyn traffic collisions occur each month, resulting in hundreds of serious injuries. Motor vehicles are a leading cause of personal injuries. Navigating Brooklyn traffic requires a dedicated focus and not all drivers exercise care behind the wheel.
Unfortunately, far too often, drivers abuse their driving privileges by engaging in the following types of behaviors:
- Drunk driving: Drunk or drugged driving impairs vision and judgment. A delayed reaction by a driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs can result in life-altering injuries for another road user.
- Distracted driving: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are three main types of driver distraction: visual, manual, and cognitive. A Brooklyn driver who takes their eyes, hands, or mind away from driving can cause a serious accident.
- Aggressive driving: Congested traffic and impatience are two of the most common contributing factors that lead to aggressive driving. Tailgating and speeding can also severely injure or kill another person on the road.
- Drowsy driving: The National Sleep Foundation reports that drowsy causes similar impairment to alcohol. They state that twenty-four hours of sleep deprivation is approximately equal to a blood alcohol content of .10 percent.
Driver negligence encompasses many things. Brooklyn drivers include passenger, commercial truck, bus, taxicab, and rideshare drivers. Any of these vehicles can collide in an instant. A sudden traffic collision can forever impact a person’s life.
All drivers must follow traffic laws, which are designed to protect road users. If a driver lost control of their vehicle, causing you serious injuries, contact a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer today.
Building and other construction projects are a common sight in Brooklyn, as workers repair, remodel, or expand properties. A busy construction site puts workers at risk of experiencing a serious injury.
When management overlooks safety for the sake of completing a project faster, the results are sometimes catastrophic.
The most-cited safety violations identified by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration include:
- Inadequate fall protection;
- Failure to meet scaffolding requirements;
- Poor ladder safety;
- Faulty machinery and machine guarding; and
- Insufficient eye and face protection.
A construction accident may be the fault of one or more liable parties. For example, if a worker is injured by a defective safety device or machine, their employer and/or the manufacturer may be at fault, depending on the circumstances. Insufficient worker training can also contribute to construction site accidents.
If a construction accident caused you serious injuries, a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer can help you. Focusing on your recovery is imperative. A lawyer can investigate your accident and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf for a fair settlement.
Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
A night out with friends or a trip to the grocery store can turn tragic in a second if you slip and fall. Property owners have a responsibility to keep visitors safe from harm.
A property owner who fails to repair torn carpet, dry wet floors, or replaces poor lighting may need to pay for your injuries. A slip and fall accident can result in serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries or broken bones. In addition, you may face a long recovery that requires significant time away from work.
A Brooklyn personal injury lawyer can stand by your side and protect your best interests while you negotiate for compensation from a negligent property owner. Your lawyer can investigate the scene of the accident and uncover important information about whether the property owner knew about the danger beforehand. If they knew of the danger but failed to take action to remedy it, they are generally negligent for accident-related damages.
Traffic accidents, construction accidents, and slip and fall accidents are sometimes preventable. Your lawyer can work to identify all parties who may be liable for your harm and hold them accountable.
There is no quick solution to your injuries or your financial stress. While pursuing legal action takes time, never settle for less than you deserve.
Serious Injuries Are Expensive
Medical care is incredibly expensive. When the medical bills result from someone else’s negligence, the responsible party should pay, not you.
The following types of serious injuries come with long-term costs, some of which last for the victim’s entire lifetime:
- Spinal cord injury: The lifetime costs associated with a spinal cord injury can easily add up to millions of dollars. From power chairs to home modifications, many patients face large and recurring costs. Recapitalization and replacement of power chairs, accessible transportation, and more can far exceed a patient’s ability to afford the necessary care.
- Traumatic brain injury: A bump, blow, or jolt to the head in a tragic fall or car accident can damage the victim’s brain functions long-term. A severe brain injury can forever impair a loved one’s personality and ability to care for themselves, resulting in the need for round-the-clock care.
- Broken bones: The type of break and the number of broken bones a person suffers can greatly affect the length of their recovery. You may need professional assistance, but that can cost you tens of thousands of dollars during a months-long recovery.
- Internal injuries: An accident that causes internal injuries can put you or a loved one at risk of death. Internal injuries typically show no signs or symptoms, making immediate medical care vital for survival.
A serious injury demands high-quality medical care. As part of the healing process, you must rest. Limiting visitors to friends and family is important. A personal injury lawyer can manage aggressive insurance adjusters so that you can focus on your recovery.
Some Brooklyn accidents may result in more than one type of serious injury. If your loved one’s injuries require a skilled living facility, the costs likely add up to thousands per month. This expense is another example of why pursuing legal action is important. A personal injury claim can hold the negligent party accountable for their actions.
Possible Types of Compensation
Most of the time, an initial insurance settlement offer will not adequately cover your medical needs. There is no way to know what expenses you may face in the future if your condition worsens. Never accept a settlement without consulting a lawyer first—accepting an offer prevents you from pursuing any additional compensation in the future.
Each personal injury case is different. The outcome of your case depends upon specific details such as the type of accident, how egregious the other party’s negligence was, and the extent of your injuries.
For example, a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer typically fights for the following types of compensation:
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of future earnings if you are unable to return to your job; and
- Pain and suffering.
Most personal injury cases settle without a trial. Hiring a lawyer who is an experienced and firm negotiator with insurance companies is essential for your case. Insurance companies want to protect their profits while a lawyer wants to protect their client’s best interests.
The outcome of a personal injury case is impossible to predict. Your lawyer may advise that you proceed to court if they feel it is the best path for your case. If you suffered serious injuries in a Brooklyn accident, consider contacting a lawyer today.
Fatal Injuries and Wrongful Death
Some injuries are too severe to survive. If you lost a close loved one in a tragic accident, a lawyer may be able to help you seek compensation for your loved one’s wrongful death.
In addition to funeral costs, your lawyer can fight for the compensation that covers:
- Final medical expenses for your loved one;
- The loss of income and future earnings for a spouse;
- Loss of inheritance for children; and
- Loss of companionship.
The sudden loss of a loved one is devastating. Your time of grief is no time to have to deal with insurance companies. A Brooklyn wrongful death lawyer can handle phone calls, manage paperwork, and keep you informed.
Wrongful death lawyers understand how to provide their services in a way that is caring and compassionate. If you lost someone close to you, compensation can never replace your loved one. It can, however, help ease your financial stress and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.
How You Can Help Your Case
A personal injury or wrongful death case is a civil legal matter. Your lawyer must prove the defendant acted negligently and is therefore responsible for your harm and related losses.
Providing your lawyer with as much information as possible is important to help them build a strong case on your behalf.
The following types of evidence may help your lawyer fight for compensation:
- Pictures of the accident scene;
- Contact information for witnesses;
- Police report or store incident report;
- Proof of your loss of pay; and
- Copies of your medical bills.
Your injuries or grief may make it difficult to collect this and other types of information. However, sharing any information you possess can help your lawyer. The sooner you get evidence to them, the sooner they can get to work on your case.
On the other hand, sharing information about your accident on social media is never a good idea. Protecting the integrity of your case is vital for a successful outcome. The wrong information, shared in the wrong place, may result in an insurance company blaming you for the accident.
The Time to Contact a Brooklyn Lawyer Is Now
The New York statute of limitations allows a victim three years to file a personal injury case. The time allowed to file a wrongful death case is only two years. The clock starts at the moment of injury or death. If you miss the deadline to file your civil case, there is no second chance. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure your case meets all court requirements.
In addition to the statute of limitations, there are other reasons for taking quick action. Photographs can become lost, and witnesses may move or forget. While a traumatic accident can leave you feeling overwhelmed, it is important to contact a Brooklyn lawyer without delay. It is the best way to protect your best interests as soon as possible.
A Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Serious injuries require rest and a dedicated focus on your medical treatment plan. In addition, surgeries, rehabilitation, and other medical needs are costly. If your injuries resulted from someone else’s negligent actions, the responsible party should pay these costs, not you.
The damages associated with your injury can include costs associated with your psychological, emotional, and mental care and recovery. The trauma you experienced was most likely preventable had the liable party behaved differently.
A Brooklyn personal injury lawyer can help you fight for justice and compensation. They understand the New York civil code and how to file civil claims and lawsuits. Their professional and aggressive demeanor with insurance companies protects your best interests.
Schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with an experienced attorney to learn more. Most truck accident lawyers only collect their legal fees if they win compensation for you. If they do not win, you do not pay.
If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Brooklyn tractor-trailer accident, contact a truck accident lawyer today.