New York Car Accident Lawyers
It only takes an instant, a split-second decision that changes your life forever. The scream of tires on the pavement, the sound of breaking glass, and that loud crunch of two vehicles colliding are likely something you won’t soon forget.
But that is only the beginning. The flash of red and blue lights and the howl of a siren in the distance solidify everything that, until now, didn’t seem real. You’ve been hit in a car accident, and you are going to need help. Learn how our experienced New York personal injury lawyers can assist you today.
Why choose Jacoby & Meyers, LLP?
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has been handling cases in New York and New Jersey for fifty years. We have fought for tens of thousands of clients who have gone through similar experiences as you. Every case is different, but the fundamentals are all the same. An event has happened you never wanted to happen, one you hoped would never happen, and now you are dealing with the harsh reality of what happens next.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we are in the business of protecting our client’s rights and getting them the compensation they deserve. We work with you throughout the process, handling the legal aspects of your case while you focus on healing and recovery. We fight for our clients and negotiate with the mega-insurance companies who view your situation with as much compassion as numbers on a ledger.
Compensation you deserve
Though it is difficult to assign a monetary value to your pain and suffering, assessing what you will need to put your life back together after a traumatic event such as a car accident is important. Lost wages, rehabilitation, pain management, and surgeries might be in store for your recovery, which is expensive.
An attorney can help assess present and future expenses and help you weigh your options in the settlement process. An insurance company will only offer the least amount possible to save money at your expense. You still have the rest of your life to deal with the aftermath of an event that changed your life.
While there is no guarantee of success in all cases, here are resolutions that Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has won for clients in New York in the past:
- $5,000,000 settlement after a multiple vehicle collision on Van Wyck Expressway
- $2,533,000 verdict after a car accident on 4th Street in Brooklyn
- $2,400,000 settlement for fatal van accident in Brooklyn
- $1,272,000 settlement for a drunk driving accident on Webster Avenue
- $740,000 settlement for a motor vehicle accident on the Brooklyn Bridge
According to the State of New York, on average, vehicle-related accidents kill 1.6 of every 100,000 New Yorkers. Each year, 312 deaths occur due to car crashes, and 3,207 hospitalizations are reported on average. There are 4,458 visits to the ER in motorcycle-related accidents, with 141 deaths per year on average. Passengers account for 292 deaths per year with 6,207 hospitalizations and 106,612 ER visits due to car accidents.
Here are some of the most common places car accidents occur:
- Interstates 81 and 87
- Hempstead Turnpike, Long Island
- Upper Broadway, Manhattan
- Hylan Boulevard, Staten Island
- Taconic State Parkway
- Henry Hudson Parkway
- Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn,
- Niagara Falls Boulevard
Car Accident Injury Statistics in New York State
Types of accidents
People are injured in all sorts of motor vehicle accidents, and we have experience in nearly all of them.
Here are just a few different vehicle accidents and why they are important and require special attention.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycles represent freedom to many riders and a practical way of getting around for others. Due to their size, speed, and lack of body designs to protect the rider from collisions, motorcyclists are often at the mercy of their protective gear, such as helmets or leathers. The sheer physics involved in motorcycle accidents can result in major injuries and often death or permanent disabilities.
- Car vs. truck accidents: Trucks criss-cross the country every day, bringing goods we need from source to store and back again. Trucks carry incredible amounts of weight but suffer from a lack of mobility, and due to their size can be a hazard due to blind spots and needing more time to brake. Oftentimes, the drivers are under a lot of strain due to deadlines and long hours on the road and self-medicate with substances to keep them going, which can affect their ability to safely handle a big rig. When trucks are involved in accidents, the injuries sustained by others are often catastrophic, if not fatal. Truck drivers and the companies that employ them are responsible for safely handling their machinery on the road to protect the safety of other motorists. More often than not, accidents result from cutting corners or illegal activity to maximize profits; at your expense.
- Rear-end collisions: One of the most common types of accidents in high-traffic areas, congested cities, and even interstates, rear-end collisions are very dangerous because the injuries sustained can be very serious. Being struck from behind by another vehicle leaves the occupants vulnerable to serious injuries such as whiplash, broken bones, cuts, and even burns if radiators or fuel tanks are ruptured.
- Hit and run: These accidents are especially frustrating since you are left with the damages and injuries and very little idea of who to hold accountable. An attorney can help investigate the accident, following clues and evidence recorded in CCTV footage, witness statements, and other investigative methods to find those who are responsible and hold them accountable.
- Uninsured motorist: Insurance in New York is compulsory, but that doesn’t always mean someone who hits you in a car accident complies with the law. An attorney can help you with alternative solutions to getting the compensation you need through litigation.
- Drunk/impaired driver: Drivers under the influence of drugs and alcohol cause a huge number of car accidents every year. The damages they cause are often significant, and you will need all the help you can get to recover those losses.
- Distracted drivers: Similar to drunk drivers, people who are distracted by personal electronic devices have reduced reaction times and often cause intense damage in accidents. Rear-end collisions are very common with distracted drivers. Offenders need to be held accountable for their negligence on the roads.
Types of Injuries
Because of the force of the impact and how a collision affects the human body, car accidents can be severe. At best, injuries might be minor, with some cuts and bruises, but in a worst-case scenario, you might face permanent disability, cognitive impairment, loss of motor function, and even death. Here are some injuries that are common in car accidents.
Most will require significant treatment at great expense, not to mention the emotional traumas of stress, depression, and anxiety resulting from the accident.
- Lacerations and bruises
- Internal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limb
- Damage to eyes or hearing loss
After the accident
A lot will go through your head after an accident, and if you are reading this now, you are already past the beginning.
Here are some things to remember if you are in an accident.
- Get to safety: Your safety is a priority. Make sure you are in a safe location without leaving the accident scene. If possible, pull your vehicle out of traffic, render first aid if necessary, and call 911. Wait for First Responders and try to remain calm.
- Admit no fault: You are likely experiencing many emotions and struggling with the adrenaline rush that follows an accident. However, watching what you say to the other party and law enforcement is essential. You are in a fight or flight state after an accident, and you should never admit fault in an accident. Your sense of judgment is skewed, and you could be mistaken. Law enforcement officers and attorneys can determine who is at fault during their investigation.
- Get medical treatment: Because of the severity of many injuries sustained during a car accident, it is important to seek medical attention, even if you don’t think your injuries are all that serious. Some injuries, such as TBIs, internal bleeding, and whiplash, can lead to later complications, which could have been treated in a medical facility. Work with your treatment plan and attend follow-up appointments and any recommended rehab.
- Document everything: Exchanging information with the other parties is only the beginning. Use your smartphone to help you document the accident. Pictures of the other driver’s insurance card are a reliable way to collect information. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, both vehicles, and even record witness statements or gather contact information if relevant. Your attorney can use all the information you collect to investigate the accident and even present it in court if it goes before a jury trial. Keep a record of all medical bills, repair expenses, receipts, and other costs related to the accident. Your lawyer can use this information to negotiate your settlement with the insurance company.
- Contact an attorney: The sooner you Contact an attorney to handle your car accident case, the sooner you protect your rights. An attorney can advise on how to proceed, observe deadlines, and attend meetings so you can focus on bigger priorities such as your health and recovery.
Dealing with the insurance company
When negotiating with an insurance company, you need to remember that the cost of recovering losses will quickly exceed your Personal Injury Protection insurance and even what you are allowed to claim for damages to your property. Insurance companies usually have their best interests in mind when negotiating settlements and, more often than not, will lowball you in settlements without an attorney.
Here are some of the losses an attorney will work hard to get you compensated for.
- Medical bills: From the initial ride in the ambulance to the ER or even the ICU, your time in the hospital will quickly accumulate a lot of expenses. Surgeries, rehabilitation, and follow-up visits with your doctor can add up. Depending on the severity of your injuries, treatment and recovery can get into the hundreds of thousands of dollars and beyond.
- Lost wages: When you are in the hospital, you will miss time from work, making it even harder to keep up with the medical expenses and repair costs already mounting. If your vehicle was a total loss, you might even find yourself without transportation for a while. Lost time at work means lost wages and possible unemployment. An attorney can fight for lost wages and even loss of future earnings if necessary.
- Recovery: Rehabilitation is a long, painful, and expensive process. You might have to endure physical therapy to get your health back on track or regain somewhat normal motor function. With that may come pain management and mental treatment to deal with the aftermath of the trauma you have survived. An insurance company might try to offer a quick settlement, which would not consider these expenses.
- Permanent disabilities: If you have lost a limb or eye or struggle with cognitive disabilities due to an accident, you are facing an uphill battle that demands proper compensation. Everything can change instantly, and due to no fault of your own, you are left with figuring out how to get on with the rest of your life. Even though there is no way to put a price tag on a life-changing tragedy, an attorney can work with you to help you put your life back together.
- Death: A motor vehicle can often result in death, leaving you with hospital bills and dealing with losing a friend or loved one. Many survivors of car accidents find added burdens with the loss of family members who were integral to providing for their livelihood. Children are left without parents, and parents are often left with the loss of their offspring, which they might never recover from emotionally.
Contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP’s New York Car Accident Attorneys
If a car accident injured you you need an attorney with the experience and know-how to fight for you. Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has 50 years of experience and counting, representing New York and New Jersey-based clients just like you who have had a tragedy in their lives.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has a nationwide reputation for helping our clients and offering straightforward language, secure access to your case files 24/7, and a team of attorneys and paralegals who fight for our clients rights and get results. We will go up against mega-insurance companies, State and local governments, big corporations, and powerful private citizens.
Contact us or call (877) 565-2993 to start recovering from the aftermath of this experience. Our attorneys and staff provide a personal touch and work towards solutions to help our clients get the compensation they need while they focus on healing and recovery.
“If it were not for the integral legal team of experts at Jacoby & Meyers I would not be where I am today with my recovery. I highly recommend hiring Jacoby & Meyers should you ever find yourself injured in an accident, and an individual or company needs to be held accountable for their negligence.” -C.J.
Check out some of our other reviews.