Bronx Car Accident Attorney
Every year, more than three million people across the United States suffer serious injuries in car accidents. Many of those occur in the Bronx, especially in dangerous intersections like the one at E. 138th Street and Brooke Avenue. They also occur during daily commuting hours, as more and more drivers travel to and from Manhattan or to Westchester County for work.
If you get into a car accident in the Bronx, you may have more than just your injuries on your mind. Even while you are still recovering, medical bills and household expenses can put a strain on already struggling families. If your car accident injuries make it difficult to work, how can you pay these bills and expenses? Who will care for your family, and how will you get through this ordeal?
When you suffer injuries in a car accident, you need a Bronx car accident attorney on your side who will fight to help you get the compensation you deserve. Your attorney can fight the insurance companies and protect your rights to compensation while you recover. As you focus on your injuries and your family, your attorney can build a case to ensure that you have the money you need to tackle life after your car accident.
We Can Help Bronx Car Accident Victims
Jacoby & Meyers is the Bronx Car Accident Attorney You Need
When you suffer serious injuries in a car accident in the Bronx, you need an attorney who is dedicated to helping you seek the compensation you deserve. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have substantial experience in a wide range of personal injury claims, including car accidents.
We know that you are unique, and the issues you face are different from others. As such, there is no “one size fits all” approach to the law. Our lawyers take the time to listen to your concerns, evaluate your accident, and explore your legal options. We then offer you creative solutions that are tailored to your unique circumstances. This personalized dedication is just one reason why so many New Yorkers choose Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, to represent them after a car accident.
Check out some of our past successes:
- $3.5 million when a construction worker fell asleep at the wheel, causing an accident
- $2.5 million in a car accident claim
- $2.5 million in an accident between a passenger vehicle and a tractor-trailer
Our results in past auto accident cases cannot guarantee the funds you will receive from a car accident. However, when you choose to work with the Bronx car accident lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, you will get a dedicated team of attorneys who will fight hard to help you seek the compensation you deserve after a serious auto accident.
The Role of a Bronx Car Accident Lawyer
Often, working with an attorney can help:
- Increase the compensation you recover. Many insurance companies do not want to pay out the full damages they owe after an accident, even if your injuries clearly show that you deserve the amount you asked for. They may try to issue a low settlement offer immediately after the accident before you have time to consider the financial ramifications of your injuries. Or they may require you to provide evidence of their driver’s responsibility. Many of our clients find that simply working with an attorney can substantially increase the compensation they receive for their injuries.
- Decrease the stress associated with the claims process. Filing a personal injury claim takes time. For many car accident victims, the process becomes extremely stressful, leaving you wondering if you should just accept a settlement offer to get the process over. When you work with a car accident lawyer, however, it decreases the stress associated with the process. This gives you more time and energy to focus on your recovery.
- Collect evidence on your behalf. Sometimes, you may need to collect evidence to prove who caused your accident. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our attorneys can more easily collect the evidence you need to win your case. This may include:
- Witness statements
- Records from traffic cameras or security cameras
- Police reports
- Information from reliable expert witnesses
- Accident reconstruction data
- Photos of the accident site and crash damage
- Identify all the parties responsible for your car accident. In some cases, liability does not lie with the other driver alone. By working with an experienced Bronx car accident attorney, you can get a better idea of exactly who contributed to your accident and how it can impact your claim.
Our law firm has an office located directly in the Bronx at 656 East Fordham Road, just a few blocks from the New York Botanical Garden and Fordham University. We work in the community because we believe that residents of the Bronx deserve aggressive and skilled legal representation without having to go into Manhattan or Brooklyn. This local presence gives us an advantage after a car accident because we know the roads, the insurance companies, and the courts you may deal with after your crash.
For these reasons, it is important to contact an experienced Bronx car accident attorney at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, immediately after your crash. We can often visit you in your hospital room or home while you recover to make the process easier for you. If you prefer, we are available virtually, or you can come to our office.
“Definitely hire Jacoby & Meyers if you are in a car accident” -Ray M.
Getting Compensation After a Car Accident in the Bronx
In New York, drivers must carry personal injury protection insurance to help provide payment for immediate medical expenses and lost wages at work following an auto accident. Personal injury protection insurance covers the first part of your medical expenses, once you pay your deductible. Once you exceed the coverage of your personal injury protection insurance, you have grounds for a personal injury claim against the driver or other parties who caused or contributed to your car accident.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our car accident attorneys can help you get the money you need from your own PIP policy before turning to file a lawsuit or injury claim. Unfortunately, many car accident survivors quickly exhaust their own policies and must turn to the “at fault” driver’s insurance to recover the rest of the money they need to put their lives back together again. This means proving fault and establishing a solid claim.
In a motor vehicle accident, the insurance policy that covers the responsible driver and/or any other responsible parties will determine the maximum compensation you can receive for your accident. Many drivers carry comparatively low liability coverage, which means that if you suffer injuries in an accident with them, you may not get the full compensation you need to cover your medical bills and other expenses. Even with a great insurance policy, your compensation will depend on the extent of your injuries.
Make no mistake, the insurance companies will be busy working to reduce their liabilities and pay you as little as possible. That is why you need an experienced law firm on your side that isn’t afraid to go toe-to-toe with insurers and seek maximum compensation.
We can help you recover compensation for:
- Medical bills. The more severe your injuries, the more your medical expenses may add up. While victims with high tetraplegia after an accident resulting in spinal cord damage may pay close to a million dollars for care in the first year after the accident alone, victims with broken bones may pay only $2,500 for non-surgical treatment. When calculating your medical expenses, you should include visits to your doctor, therapies, and modifications to your home or vehicle after the accident. Talk with an attorney to make sure you do not miss any important medical expenses for which you deserve compensation.
- Missed time at work. Car accident injuries often prevent victims from returning to work for several reasons. First and foremost, your injuries may prevent you from working. Even when you can return to work, pain medication, lingering pain—or distraction or concentration issues from a traumatic brain injury—can prevent you from focusing fully on your work. You may also need to miss work on an ongoing basis for follow-up appointments, future surgeries, or therapy appointments.
- Lost earning potential. For many car accident victims, missed work becomes a permanent reality when severe injuries prevent a return to work. Compensation for lost earning potential can help cover the bills during your recovery or make it possible for you to get the training or certification necessary for a new, different type of job.
- Pain and suffering. Your car accident injuries may cause substantial physical pain and suffering. In addition, you may face mental and emotional anguish related to your injuries. By claiming compensation for pain and suffering, many victims can get the money they need to rebuild their lives after an auto accident.
Types of Cases Our Bronx Car Accident Lawyers Handle
The type of car accident you get involved in matters. After all, each accident requires a different type of investigation and negotiation. For example, the investigation after a DUI accident may involve gathering BAC evidence and criminal police reports. It may also involve investigating the bar or tavern that served the drunk driver. A rear-end accident, on the other hand, may involve gathering evidence of distracted driving, such as cell phone records and eyewitness accounts.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Bronx car accident lawyers understand how these differences will affect your personal injury case and your ability to collect compensation.
Our attorneys have successfully represented numerous Bronx drivers and pedestrians injured in:
- Rear-end accidents
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone or side-impact crashes
- Sideswipe accidents
- Rollover crashes
- DUI accidents
- Drugged driving crashes
- Distracted driving accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Taxi accidents
- Uber accidents
- Bus collisions
- SUV accidents
What are Common Bronx Car Accident Injuries?
Following a car accident, many victims have substantial injuries that cause missed work, high medical bills, and substantial pain and suffering. Common types of car accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury. Victims of a traumatic brain injury may face high physical, mental, and emotional costs. Not only do many victims of a traumatic brain injury struggle with both short-term and long-term memory problems following the accident, but they may also suffer from difficulty regulating emotions, mood swings, and problems with focus and concentration. Victims may suffer from vertigo or ongoing dizziness. Even victims of minor traumatic brain injuries may have symptoms more than a year after the injury. Some victims of severe traumatic brain injuries suffer symptoms for the rest of their lives.
- Spinal cord injuries. In the first six months after a car accident, spinal cord injury victims may make most of the progress they can make toward recovery. While victims of incomplete spinal cord injuries may recover a great deal of their mobility and strength in the impacted limbs, victims of complete spinal cord injuries may suffer paralysis below the site of the injury. Spinal cord injury can also lead to decreased feeling, tingling, or ongoing pain below the site of the injury.
- Burns. When a car catches on fire after an accident, it often goes up fast. Victims may have to struggle to get out of the car in time to avoid severe burns. Chemicals carried by another vehicle can also cause chemical burns. Not only do burns cause substantial pain, but they can also leave the victim with serious scarring. Even plastic surgery does not always fully restore the victim’s former appearance.
Amputations. In a car accident, victims can have limbs torn away during the accident. They may also face crushing damage so severe that it cuts off blood flow to the impacted limb, which can require the removal of that limb to protect the victim’s life. Amputation victims often require substantial occupational therapy to learn to cope with their new limitations following the loss of a limb. In addition, victims may choose to use a prosthesis. These are costly, and many amputees are forced to replace their prosthesis within the first year, as well as, frequently throughout recovery. Others note that the average prosthesis lasts only around three to five years.
- Chest contusions. The chest contains many vital organs that support the body, including the heart and lungs. While a chest contusion may present at the scene of the accident as simply minor pain or tenderness, as swelling increases, it can threaten those organs. Victims with chest contusions may have severely limited activities while that deep bruising heals, requiring the victim to restrict both work and leisure activities, especially if he suffers damage to the heart or lungs.
- Broken bones. Many victims of car accidents suffer broken bones, especially on the side of the body struck by another vehicle. Broken bones impact mobility and cause substantial pain during the recovery process. In some cases, victims with broken bones may require surgical treatment to set and strengthen those bones, especially if the break occurs near a joint. Broken bones can cause ongoing pain as the car accident victim moves forward with their life after recovery.
- Soft tissue damage. While torn ligaments and tendons may not require casts, they may still require surgical intervention. In many cases, soft tissue damage causes more serious complications, including pain and limited mobility, for the victim than a broken bone. Soft tissue damage can prevent the victim from working due to pain, distraction, or inability to perform normal work tasks, especially if the victim works in a highly physical job.
Where do Car Accidents Occur in the Bronx?
Car Accident Injury Statistics in Bronx, NY
For the last three years, car accidents in the Bronx have increased, and they show no signs of slowing down. This increase has safety and government officials concerned and eager to find a way to decrease the number of car accident injuries that occur in the community. Bronx drivers must deal with pedestrians, bicyclists, Uber drivers, taxicab drivers, and buses while traveling through the city. This can make driving through the Bronx incredibly dangerous.
Where do many car accidents occur in the Bronx?
- E. 138th Street
- E. 149th Street
- Brook Avenue
- Grand Concourse
- 3rd Avenue
- White Plains Road
- Fordham Road
- East Gun Hill Road
- Bainbridge Avenue
- Bruckner Expressway
Bronx Accident Statistics
Who is to Blame After a Car Accident?
Finding the Responsible Party in a Bronx Car Accident Case?
Following a car accident in the Bronx, you know the other driver caused the accident. You may not, however, recognize the other factors that often contribute to car accident cases. By filing a claim against all responsible parties after your auto accident, you can often increase the compensation you receive, as well as hold those parties responsible for the injuries they caused.
Some of the more common third parties that could also share liability with the “at fault” driver include:
- Drunk drivers. Was your car accident caused by a drunk driver? If a bar or restaurant over-served that driver, the facility may share liability for the accident. Both bars and restaurants must pay careful attention to their patrons, especially those who plan to drive after leaving.
- Drivers on the clock. When companies require their employees to drive, whether they carry large loads or small deliveries, those companies must provide reasonable working conditions for their drivers. If an employer expects the driver to drive in unsafe conditions, asks a driver to drive while sick or inebriated, or forces a driver to exceed the maximum hours he can legally work, that company may share liability for the accident. The company may also share liability if a mechanical failure in the vehicle occurred because that company held off on needed maintenance or ignored a potential problem with the vehicle.
- Mechanics. Mechanical problems can cause serious accidents in the blink of an eye. If a mechanical accident, from a tire blowout to more serious engine trouble, caused your accident, you may need to consult an attorney to determine if:
- The manufacturer shares liability. If, for example, the manufacturer chooses to leave vehicles on the market with known problems that could cause an accident, the manufacturer may share liability for your accident.
- A mechanic shares liability. Did a mechanic work on the vehicle recently? If he replaced the part that then caused the accident, or if he failed to notice or report a problem with the vehicle that led to an accident, he may share liability for your injuries.
Bronx Car Accident FAQ
In one month, the New York City Police Department reported more than 1,000 motor vehicle collisions in the Bronx, resulting in injury to nearly 400 motorists or their passengers.
If you suffered injuries in a car accident caused by the careless or reckless actions of someone else, then you likely have lots of questions about your legal rights to receive compensation.
Below we answer some of the most common questions we hear from clients about their rights following a Bronx car crash.
For answers to questions specific to a crash that left you or a loved one injured, contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP’s experienced Bronx car accident injury attorneys today.
By far, the most common contributing factor in car accidents reported by the NYPD accidents is driver inattention or distraction. A driver distraction is defined as anything that either draws the driver’s eyes from the road, hands from the wheel, or mind from the task of driving. Among driving distractions, texting is the most common and dangerous because it involves the loss of visual attention, manual attention, and cognitive attention.
Other common causes of motor vehicle accidents in the Bronx include tailgating, speed, and failure to yield the right-of-way. No matter what caused the accident that injured you, an experienced lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
For most people, the process starts with hiring a skilled, experienced Bronx car accident injury lawyer. Once hired, a lawyer can plot a strategy to help Bronx car crash victims recover the maximum compensation they deserve under New York law.
That process will often involve:
- Investigating the accident to determine whose dangerous decisions or actions caused it to happen, and the amount of damages the victim deserves to recover. Sometimes, more than one individual or corporate entity has a legal liability to a victim. A skilled attorney will often try to identify every party with potential liability because each party represents a potential source of payment of damages.
- Negotiating with defense lawyers and insurance companies to obtain compensation for the victim’s injuries and losses. Most, but not all, Bronx car accident injury claims get resolved through a negotiated settlement in which the parties at fault (and their insurance companies) pay money to the victim, and the victim releases them from future liability.
- Litigating a case in a Bronx County courtroom, if negotiation does not achieve a fair and reasonable settlement of a Bronx car crash victim’s injury claim. Skilled lawyers prepare every case as if it will end up in a courtroom so that they never get caught flat-footed, and welcome the chance to make a client’s case to a judge and jury.
Talk to our experienced Bronx car accident injury lawyers today to learn about the best course of action for obtaining compensation for your injuries and losses.
You still may have the ability to recover the compensation you deserve. For starters, you may have your own uninsured motorist insurance coverage. In addition, people or companies other than the driver of the other car could have a legal liability to you for your injuries and losses. Talk to an experienced Bronx car accident lawyer right away to explore your options.
Generally speaking, in New York, someone owes you compensation for your injuries and losses in a Bronx car accident if:
- That person or company owed you a duty of care, which means they had an obligation not to do something dangerous that could put you in harm’s way;
- The person or company breached its duty of care to you by making dangerous decisions and/or engaging in dangerous actions; and
- That breach caused the crash and your injuries.
In many Bronx car accidents, the driver of one of the vehicles involved has liability. However, liability does not stop with the other driver. Others could also have liability to you for your injuries, including that other driver’s employer (if the driver crashed a work vehicle), or a vehicle manufacturer (if a defective car or truck part caused the accident). Even New York City could bear the blame for a Bronx car accident that left you injured, such as if the accident involved a city bus or happened at an unreasonably dangerous intersection.
Talk to a lawyer right away to learn about who may owe you compensation for your Bronx car crash injuries.
Every case is different, so there is no one kind of evidence that an attorney will always need. However, in most car accident cases, the following items of evidence usually have some importance for proving a claim for damages.
Our Bronx car accident attorneys will typically try to seek out this kind of evidence, but if you have the chance to gather it, then all the better.
- The official police report of the accident;
- Photos of the accident scene, including the damage to both vehicles;
- Names and contact information for witnesses and first responders to the accident;
- Documentation of expenses relating to the accident, such as medical bills, auto repair bills, insurance company statements, and receipts for any expenses the accident caused;
Sometimes, attorneys will also work with expert witnesses to help develop a legal claim. Accident reconstruction specialists, for example, can investigate how the accident happened and to identify who is to blame. Financial planning professionals can assist in calculating the amount of money a car accident victim needs to cover future expenses.
The most reliable way to ensure that your attorney can gather the evidence you need to prove a claim for damages is to hire an attorney as soon as possible after your car accident. With every day that passes, valuable evidence can go missing. Act today to give yourself the best opportunity to recover the money you deserve.
Not necessarily. Talk to an experienced Bronx car accident attorney right away to discuss the details of your accident and how your role in it might affect your claim. It is especially important to talk to an attorney if you were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident, which can affect your legal rights under New York law.
Just as importantly, do not talk to anyone else about how you think you might be at fault, and do not post to social media about it either. What you tell your attorney is confidential. What you tell anyone else could get twisted by insurance companies and defense lawyers to prevent you from receiving the compensation you deserve.
No, you should never sign a medical release authorizing an insurance provider to have access to your medical records without first running it past your car accident injury attorney. The other party’s insurance company wants your medical records to pick them apart and find reasons not to pay you the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Plus, that insurance company might not have the legal right to see what’s in your medical records without your permission. Never agree to disclose that kind of information without first talking to your lawyer about the pros and cons.
No, at least not without speaking to our Bronx car accident attorneys first. As we said, the other driver’s insurance company contacts you for one reason: to find a reason not to pay you what you deserve. Any offer that the company makes is bound to represent far less than the full value of your claim.
Before you can even think about accepting a settlement, you need to have an idea of the scope of your damages. That is where hiring an experienced Bronx car accident injury attorney comes in. We analyze clients’ claims to make sure we calculate the maximum damages a client deserves, and we do that before we have a conversation with any insurance company or defense lawyer about a settlement.
Say no to that offer someone else’s insurance company made to you, and let our skilled Bronx car accident attorneys take over the negotiations on your behalf.
Yes. Your right to sue someone for monetary damages is separate from that same person facing criminal charges, even if that person is in jail. However, filing a personal injury lawsuit against a person facing criminal charges can add some complication to your case, so be sure to speak with an experienced Bronx car accident attorney right away.
There isn’t one. Every Bronx car accident injury claim is different.
Factors that can affect the value of a claim include:
- How much money the at-fault party has available to pay you with, either through assets or insurance;
- Your role in the accident;
- The severity of your injuries;
- Your age and overall health at the time of the accident;
- Your pre-accident income and whether your injuries leave you out of work;
- Whether your circumstances give you the ability to hold out for the best possible outcome.
Surviving family members of someone who dies in a Bronx car accident may have the right to seek compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit ghostwriting. Talk to an experienced lawyer today to learn about your family’s rights.
It can vary. Most of the factors affecting the timeline for a Bronx car accident injury claim are out of any one victim’s or lawyer’s control akademisches ghostwriting. However, one factor that you totally control is when you talk with a lawyer for the first time. The sooner you do that, the quicker you will be on your way to pressing your legal rights and reaching a fair conclusion to your claim.
Yes. Do not wait to contact an experienced Bronx car accident injury attorney. The speed with which you get started on seeking the compensation you deserve under New York law can significantly affect the speed of the claim Ghostwriter. If you wait to talk to a lawyer, gathering evidence and making a claim can go slower. If you wait too long, you can lose your rights to compensation altogether.
Yes, you really need a Bronx car accident lawyer.
Do not listen to anyone who tells you that you can represent yourself. You can’t Ghostwriting BWL. We have seen people try, and it isn’t pretty. In fact, it’s tragic. People who try to manage without a lawyer virtually always leave far more money on the table than they ever would have had to share with an attorney. Worse, the reality of our legal system is that no one—no insurance company, defense lawyer, judge, or juror—takes anyone who represents themselves seriously. It’s a mistake. Don’t do it.
Nothing up front, and nothing at the end unless you get paid compensation ghostwriter diplomarbeit. Experienced Bronx car accident injury lawyers like ours work on contingency, which means they get paid a share of the money they recover for you. That way, you do not have to spend a dime out of your own pocket to get them working for you, and they want the same thing that you want: the most money possible in your hands as soon as possible.
If you suffered injuries in a Bronx car accident, contact an experienced car accident injury attorney at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, right today.
Do You Need a Bronx Car Accident Attorney?
If you suffered injuries in an auto accident in the Bronx, you may need an experienced Bronx personal injury attorney to help put together your claim package, negotiate with the insurance company, and seek the compensation you deserve.
Contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today at (718) 294-0813 to fill out a free case evaluation form. We will match you with our experienced Bronx car accident lawyers on our legal team, who will help determine your eligibility to file a claim.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“We had the most amazing trial attorney at Jacoby and Meyers…. My sister was hit by a car in a parking lot and was really hurt. Sharon fought so hard in court for her. Sharon was really well liked by the people in the Court and did so much for my sister on her case…. It is a great firm and I highly recommend it to anyone with an injury case.”
Review by: Carolina V.
Check out some of our other reviews.