Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents occur in Brooklyn every single day. From deadly head-on collisions on the Belt Parkway to T-bone crashes on South Fourth Street, car accidents injure thousands of Brooklyn drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. These injuries can result in significant disability and a lifetime of pain and suffering. If you suffer an injury in a car accident in Brooklyn, a Brooklyn car accident lawyer can help you get the money you need to put your life back together again.
Unfortunately, insurance companies are not always willing to play fair and offer accident survivors in Brooklyn what they truly need to recover. When this occurs, you may find yourself facing your injuries, disabilities, and rising medical bills on your own. However, you don’t have to face insurance companies alone. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Brooklyn car accident attorneys can fight on your side to help you get the money you need. We work tirelessly for our clients and offer them experienced and compassionate legal guidance every step of the way.
If a car accident injured you or took the life of a loved one in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn car injury lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP are here to help.
Why Choose Our Brooklyn Car Accident Law Firm?
At Jacoby & Myers, LLP, we know that the best way we can help you is by meeting with you one-on-one to discuss your accident and your injuries. If you prefer a virtual meeting, we can accommodate this as well. We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial case evaluation and consultation. This way you can learn more about your legal options and we can learn more about your case.
Once you choose us to represent you after your accident, our attorneys will then get to work preparing your case. This may involve investigating the accident scene, tracking down eyewitnesses, and gathering evidence. In some cases, we may even need to bring in accident recreation teams and medical experts. We do this because we want to help you get the maximum compensation for your injuries after a life-changing Brooklyn car accident.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP we’ve worked for decades to establish our firm as a trusted partner for victims of Brooklyn car accidents. During that time, we’ve helped countless injured car accident victims like you—and have recovered millions of dollars for our clients.
Some of our recent car accident success include:
- $5 million for a multi-vehicle collision on the Van Wyck Expressway
- $2.53 million for a car accident in Brookly on 4th Street
- $2.5 million for a car accident on North Avenue in New Rochelle, NY
- $2.5 million for a car accident in the Bronx
- $2.4 million for a wrongful death car accident in Brooklyn
- $1.272 million for a Webster Avenue car accident
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, you deserve more than just compensation. You deserve a legal representative who will empower and embolden you throughout the legal process. That’s why our team works with clients to build strong cases and fight for justice.
When you suffer an injury in Brooklyn, you need a law firm on your side that understands Brooklyn through and through. You need a lawyer that knows the streets, intersections, and government entities that may share blame for your accident. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Brooklyn car accident lawyers have an office located conveniently at 8701 3rd Avenue just blocks from Fort Hamilton Athletic Field and 86 Street Station.
Why do we have an office in Brooklyn, as well as in Manhattan? Because we believe that Brooklyn drivers and residents deserve experienced and compassionate legal support where they live. Injured car accident survivors should not have to travel out of their community to get the help they need. We are proud to represent residents of Brooklyn and all New York Boroughs.
To learn more about your legal options, call us at 1-877-488-1707 or fill out our confidential contact form to set up your free case evaluation and consultation.
Getting the Money YOU Need
What Compensation Can You Recover?
After a car accident, the biggest question running through your mind is likely, “How can I get the money I need to pay for my medical bills and car damages?” This is probably the most-asked question any car accident lawyer gets from prospective clients.
Unfortunately, how much money you need to recover or what your case is worth is a complex question that deserves a more knowledgeable answer. No two cases are ever the same. That is because every accident is unique and injuries affect accident survivors differently. For that reason, it is important to discuss your specific case with one of our knowledgeable Brooklyn car accident attorneys in order to get the answers you need.
We offer free initial consultations and reviews so we can learn more about your accident, your injuries, and your struggles. We can then help you explore all of your legal options and give you the answers you need to some of the most complex legal questions.
Those who work within the legal system understand the tremendous loss that you may face as a result of the accident. In fact, it’s publicized that car accidents bring about as much as $1 trillion in lost productivity and life each year. As such, car accident victims have the right to pursue compensation for the damages and losses they suffered.
Some of the most notable and common amongst these include:
- Past and future medical bills. This encompasses past, present, and future medical bills. Many victims do not understand how broad-reaching the “medical bill” umbrella is. Things like emergency transport from the scene of the accident and other similar costs may all be recoverable.
- Pain and suffering and mental anguish. This compensation is meant to ease the burden of emotional and physical pain experienced as a result of the car accident
- Lost wages or diminished earning potential. Sometimes, car accident injuries render accident victims unable to work. When this occurs, they can recover lost wages, as well as any loss in future earnings.
Where Do Car Accidents Occur in Brooklyn?
Nearly 3,000 car accidents occur in Brooklyn every single month, resulting in over 1,000 injuries. These Brooklyn car accidents occur at nearly every major intersection and on every road and highway. However, some roads, intersections, and freeways are more dangerous than others.
Here are some of the most common places car accidents occur in Brooklyn:
- Jay Street and Tillary Street
- Bushwick Avenue and Grand Avenue
- Graham Avenue and Grand Avenue
- Lawrence and Willoughby
- Newkirk Avenue and Rugby Road
- Hooper and South Fifth Streets
- Tillary Street and Flatbush Avenue
- Atlantic Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue
- Clarendon Road and Utica Avenue
- City streets, freeways, and highways
- Belt Parkway
- Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
- Flatlands Avenue
- Fulton Street
- Kings Highway
- Van Wyck Expressway
- 86th Street
- Roosevelt Avenue
- Queens Boulevard
Car Accident Injury Statistics in Brooklyn, NY
These are just some of the places where accidents occur in Brooklyn. Unfortunately, car accidents are on the rise throughout the city. Over the last several years, car accidents and injuries have steadily increased and show no signs of slowing down.
Types of Car Accidents
Most of us know that car accidents can occur in different ways. They range considerably in severity and involve a measure of luck, too. One victim may walk away from a “severe” crash unscathed while another suffers wrongful death due to a minor collision.
With that in mind, some of the most common car accidents in Brooklyn include:
- Rear-end collisions. These collisions occur when the front of one vehicle hits the back of another vehicle. Usually, rear-end collisions take place at lower speeds in areas where drivers may brake and accelerate frequently. This is one reason why many of them end up being minor crashes. One of the most common causes of rear-end collisions is reckless driving behavior like texting while operating a vehicle.
- Low-speed collisions. This term refers to any collision that occurs at a low speed. These often occur in areas that are heavy with traffic and pedestrians. If you spend a lot of time driving in the neighborhoods or parking lots of Brooklyn, you may eventually end up involved in a low-speed collision.
- Single-vehicle crashes. These are exactly what they sound like. We all know somebody who’s run their car into a tree, pole, or another parked vehicle. These are all examples of single-vehicle collisions.
- Rear-end accidents. If the front of somebody’s car slams into your fender, you will likely suffer serious injuries, including neck and spinal cord injuries. Victims of high-speed rear-end collisions are often totally unable to avoid a crash, putting them in a vulnerable position.
- T-bone collisions. Perhaps one of the most commonly referred to collision figurations, t-bone crashes, or side-impact accidents, involve one party driving directly into the side of somebody else’s vehicle. These accidents can prove fatal without as many exacerbating influences as others. This is because the front of one car often directly collides with a place where a driver or passenger is seated in the second vehicle.
- Head-on accidents. This is one of the most fatal types of car accidents. When two vehicles hit head-on, all occupants can suffer serious and life-threatening injuries. Brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and serious disfigurement can occur after a head-on collision.
Causes of Car Accidents in Brooklyn
Most of us drive every day. How often do you consider the risks that you face on the road?
Did you know that an estimated 40,000 people died as a result of car accidents throughout one recent year? Not only is this figure 14 percent higher than it was four years previous, but eight separate states demonstrated increases of nearly 6 percent in annual car accident fatalities.
Some car accidents in Brooklyn are easily traced to a critical cause. Some of these overlap. Speeding, for example, may qualify as reckless and aggressive driving. Aggressive driving itself is a form of reckless driving. Don’t worry too much about the specifics. Once you have a lawyer to assist in handling your case, they will be able to shed some light on this part of the process.
There are some more common causes of car accidents.
- Distracted driving – According to the CDC, over 3,000 individuals died and another 391,000 were injured in one recent year as a result of distracted driving. In one recent month, driver inattention and distraction led to 878 motor vehicle accidents in Brooklyn alone. Texting, using a GPS device, and talking to passengers all cause distracted driving accidents.
- Poor weather and/or road conditions. If the weather or roadway conditions are not conducive to safe driving, the likelihood of a car accident increases exponentially. Many areas throughout the country experience exceptionally poor weather conditions during some time of the year. Here in New York, we have to battle snowy winters and wet auxiliary seasons. Factors like these lead to numerous car accidents every year.
- Aggressive or reckless driving. The key difference between aggressive and reckless driving really lies in the driver’s intent. Both actions pose an equal risk to others and can lead to immense injury (or even death). Common signs of either include speeding, erratic lane changes, and minimal concern for the rules of the road. In one recent month, road rage and aggressive driving caused 33 car accidents. Speeding caused 92 collisions that same month. Keep in mind that speeding, in particular, is linked to a significant number of traffic fatalities each year. This actually accounted for more than 25 percent of traffic deaths in one recent year alone.
- Drunk driving. In the state of New York, it is illegal to drive a car with a BAC greater than 0.08%. Yet, drunk driving is still a major concern in Brooklyn. In one recent month, 31 car accidents involved an intoxicated driver.
What Are the Types of Injuries?
We Help Injured Brooklyn Accident Survivors Like You
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Brooklyn car accident attorneys realize that you face unique issues and obstacles after an accident. There is no simple approach to treating medical injuries. How your injuries affect your life and respond to treatment is a huge component of personal injury law. We need to know that the compensation you receive will cover your medical expenses now – and in the future. If your injuries suddenly worsen or become chronic, you want to know that you have what you need to handle it.
Our Brooklyn car accident lawyers have helped accident survivors just like you who suffered from injuries, including:
- Head and neck injuries
- Soft tissue and joint injuries
- Back injuries
- Joint damage
- Knee and shoulder injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Internal organ damage
Brooklyn Car Accident FAQ
Car accidents happen frequently in Brooklyn but that does not make them any less painful, emotionally or physically. When you leave your home, you expect to return safely. That does not always happen. Crashes can cause serious, debilitating injuries that impair a victim’s ability to work, go to school, and enjoy life.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a car accident, a Brooklyn car accident lawyer can represent you in seeking compensation for the harm you suffered. Below, we answer some commonly asked questions about Brooklyn car accident injury cases, and about how lawyers can help victims obtain the compensation they need. For answers to your specific questions about a Brooklyn car crash that affected your life, contact an experienced Brooklyn car accident injury lawyer today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Every year, over 100,000 New Yorkers suffer injuries in a car accident. Many of those victims have hesitations about filing a Brooklyn car accident claim, especially if their injuries feel relatively minor. Filing a Brooklyn car accident claim is about protecting you and your family.
After you suffer injuries in a car accident, you may feel not only physical pain but also emotional and financial pain. Besides that, you may also face disruptions to your daily routine and your regular life.
Filing a Brooklyn car accident claim against the at-fault driver or another party that has legal liability for your injuries is important because it gives you the best chance of protecting your rights and maximizing your financial recovery. While no amount of money will erase your pain and suffering, it can help ease the burden on you and your family as you recover.
Without fail, this question is the one clients ask most often. Ultimately, the answer depends on the specifics of your car accident.
The more serious your injuries, the greater financial hardship you face, the more money you can often seek to recover by taking legal action to pay for your:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Present and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
Suffering injuries in a car accident turns your daily life upside down. Because of this upheaval, you may not work for some time—or even forever. This puts an unexpected financial burden on you and your family, but that should not be your or their burden to bear. Instead, the parties whose dangerous decisions or actions caused your Brooklyn car accident should take responsibility for those costs.
Those parties may include:
- A motorist who made a bad decision behind the wheel that led to the crash that injured you;
- The employer of a motorist who crashed a work vehicle;
- An auto manufacturer, if a defective vehicle or vehicle part caused a crash;
- A bar or restaurant that served a visibly intoxicated patron who then went on to cause the crash; or
- The City of New York, if it failed to correct or warn motorists about a preventable, dangerous road condition.
The financial resources of the parties who have a legal liability to you for your Brooklyn car accident injuries can affect the amount of money you might have the ability to recover. For that reason, experienced Brooklyn car accident injury attorneys work hard to identify all parties who may face legal liability for your accident, so that you have as many potential sources of payment for your injuries as the law allows.
Many accident victims mistakenly believe it is easy to recover for their injuries. They think they can simply speak with the insurance company that issued liability coverage to the at-fault driver, and that the insurance company will do the right thing and pay-up.
Unfortunately, that is not what happens. First, it is never a good idea to try to negotiate with an at-fault party’s insurance company on your own, as a victim of that party’s wrongful actions. That insurance company is not your friend. It has no interest in paying you anything. It will look for any reason not to pay you a dime.
At a bare minimum, any quick settlement offer it makes to you will be for a small fraction of what you truly deserve to receive. You cannot expect any insurance company for an at-fault party to “do the right thing” when you reach out to ask for money. In fact, chances are that any conversation you have with an at-fault party’s insurance company will cost you dearly in terms of money and legal rights.
The only realistic way to get the insurance company that covers the at-fault party in your Brooklyn car accident to pay you the money you deserve is to have a skilled, experienced Brooklyn car accident injury lawyer negotiate on your behalf.
Lawyers for accident victims like you spend their careers fighting to extract money from tight-fisted insurance companies. They speak the language of liability, damages, and insurance coverage that insurance companies and defense lawyers understand. By hiring a skilled lawyer to represent you in your Brooklyn car accident case, you send a signal that you have a claim they need to take seriously.
As soon as possible. In New York, you have at most three years from the date of your car accident to file a claim against the party at fault, and in some cases, you may have as little as three months. Missing these deadlines could result in you losing your rights to compensation for your injuries and losses.
Do not put your rights at risk. Get your free initial consultation with an experienced Brooklyn car accident injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident to give yourself the best possible opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. The longer you wait, the more difficult it may become to prove a case for damages against the parties who owe you money.
The steps you take after your Brooklyn car accident can play an important role in your ability to recover damages for your injuries.
By following these steps, you can help preserve evidence that can prove someone’s liability to you and the amount of your damages.
- Call 911. In all but the most minor Brooklyn car accidents, the law requires you to call 911. Even if your accident seemed minor and you do not think you have suffered serious injuries, calling 911 is important. First, making this call alerts police who will respond to the scene and eventually write a police report. They will speak with you, the other driver, any witnesses, and anyone else involved in the accident. A police report is not necessarily the final word on who caused the accident or who should bear financial and legal responsibility for it. However, lawyers can often use it as important evidence in proving fault. Second, and importantly, calling 911 will send emergency medical personnel your way. Even if you do not feel like you suffered injuries, you cannot trust your self-assessment of your condition in those stressful moments. Adrenaline may mask your pain. You may have suffered serious injuries that take time to show symptoms. By letting the emergency medical personnel evaluate you at the accident scene, you protect your health and give yourself (and others) access to emergency medical treatment if you need it.
- See a doctor right away. Even if you received immediate medical attention at the scene of the accident from an EMT, or even in a hospital emergency room, you should also pay a visit (ideally within 24 hours) to your regular doctor or an urgent care clinic. A full examination can reveal hidden injuries, prevent health complications, and document your condition in a manner that can help your lawyer prove the connection between the accident and the harm you suffered.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan. Always do what your doctor tells you. Take your medicine, go to appointments and therapy sessions, and limit your activity until your doctor gives you the all-clear. Following doctor’s orders protects your health, and also ensures that no one can fight against paying you damages by claiming you caused your own injuries or made them worse.
- Take pictures or video. If it is safe to do so, take pictures or videos with your cell phone at the Brooklyn car accident scene. (If your injuries prevent you from doing this, try to delegate the task to someone else.) Capture images of your injuries, your vehicle, the other car, any other vehicles or objects involved in the accident, and the entire accident scene (including surrounding buildings, lighting, road signs, and the road surface). These images may help your legal team prove your case for damages.
- Get contact information. In the same vein, try to collect contact information from all drivers and passengers involved in your Brooklyn car accident, as well as from any witness who saw what happened. The police will try to collect this information, too, but it never hurts to collect your own information as a backup. This gives your lawyer the ability to speak with witnesses as soon as possible.
- Stay away from social media. It may seem natural to post about your Brooklyn car accident, or your injuries, or your life after the crash, on social media. Don’t do it (at least not without running posts past your lawyer). Social media has become an important part of people’s everyday life. Unfortunately, that means that defense lawyers and insurance investigators have figured out that they can mine social media for posts that make a crash victim look happier and healthier than the victim’s lawsuit claims. In other words, posting to social media can cost you money and sacrifice your legal rights. It’s not worth it.
- Contact an experienced Brooklyn car accident injury at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP. The sooner you have a skilled attorney working to get you the compensation you need and deserve, the better the chances that your claim will reach a favorable financial outcome.
If your lawyer files a lawsuit on your behalf, then it’s possible you will have to go to court, and that you will have to give sworn testimony in an interview called a deposition.
However, not all Brooklyn car accident claims necessarily involve filing a lawsuit, and not all lawsuits proceed far enough to require a deposition or courtroom testimony. In fact, most car accident injury cases settle out of court before trial.
Still, just because many cases get resolved without taking them to a judge and jury, that does not mean that you should ever assume that’s how yours will go. To give yourself the best chances of success, choose a legal team with years of experience representing Brooklyn car crash victims like you, with a proven track record of obtaining compensation for clients through settlements and jury verdicts. That way, you can rest assured that no matter what direction your case takes, you have a team with the skill and resources to obtain the best possible outcome for your circumstances.
It costs nothing to have an initial consultation with Jacoby & Meyers, LLP’s Brooklyn car accident lawyers when we evaluate whether you have a claim. And our experienced Brooklyn car accident law firm will also agree to represent crash victims on a contingent fee basis in which the client pays no money upfront, and the lawyer’s fee only comes out of any money the lawyer recovers on the client’s behalf. In other words, you only pay a lawyer if the lawyer gets you paid first.
If your or a loved one suffered injuries in a Brooklyn car accident, you may have valuable legal rights to compensation. To learn more, contact our experienced Brooklyn car accident injury law firm today for a free case evaluation.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help?
Choosing a trustworthy and experienced car accident attorney to help you pursue your case, will greatly increase your chances of success. The legal system is not built to accommodate the average citizen. It’s a tangled web of laws and regulations that legal professionals study for years to understand. If you’ve been left confused and uncertain after a car accident, you’re not alone.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, offers car accident victims in Brooklyn legal representation services designed to pursue and achieve justice. Each potential client may take advantage of a free initial evaluation to determine whether our team will make the right fit for their case. Once you establish a partnership, your personal injury attorney will work with you to document evidence and build a case.
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries during a car accident, contact our offices today. Our friendly and knowledgeable representatives are always ready to help curious potential clients.
Most Brooklyn car accident cases settle before trial. That is simply the nature of our legal system. As a result, effective New York car accident lawyers have the sharpest negotiating skills. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our attorneys have decades of combined experience sitting across the negotiating table from defense attorneys and insurance company representatives. We have learned that the best way to achieve the highest dollar-value result in negotiations is to bring an ironclad case with you to the discussions.
Our reputation for hard work and meticulous preparation is well-earned. Defense counsel and insurance execs know that when a Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, lawyer walks into the room, the lawyer is ready and able to prove every dollar demanded on behalf of a client. That is the kind of negotiating strength our New York car accident clients need and deserve.
Contact Us If You Were in a Brooklyn Car Accident
Those who are curious to learn more about our legal representation services can contact us today to schedule a 100 percent free initial evaluation. We believe that potential clients deserve a basic understanding of their case and the complexities surrounding it before agreeing to work with one of our attorneys. Contact us today or dial (877)-503-7797 to find out more and to begin the process of reclaiming your life following a car accident.
Call us today at (877) 503-7797 and make an appointment.
8701 3rd Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11209
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“The team and Jocoby & Meyers are excellent. They make sure the client is well taken care of. They are great with communication and they take their time to make sure the client is satisfied. Will definitely recommend.”
Review by: Danielle H.
Check out some of our other reviews.