Queens Personal Injury Attorney
Did you get injured in a car accident on Rockaway Boulevard? Maybe you suffer an injury while hospitalized at Mount Sinai Queens or New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital? Or perhaps a car hit you on Queens Boulevard? No matter where your injury accident occurred, you deserve to have someone on your side fighting for you and your rights. You deserve to have a Queens personal injury lawyer who can help you through this difficult time.
Queens, New York can be a dangerous place, full of obstacles and opportunities for injury. The chance of suffering an injury is even higher when individuals act negligently or, even worse, intentionally to create dangerous circumstances for everyone else.
Unfortunately, individuals get injured due to the negligent acts of other parties all too often. These injuries can range from a mild inconvenience to life-altering. They may limit your ability to perform your job or keep you from the activities you love.
If you suffered an injury due to the actions of another party, you may recover compensation for your injuries and the negative consequences these injuries have brought to your life. The Queens personal injury attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP have extensive experience advocating for accident victims.
Experience Matters After an Injury Accident in Queens
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP Delivers Results
From the moment you suffer an injury, your whole world may turn upside down. In this dark time, you need a strong legal advocate on your side who can look out for you and your family. Queens residents need someone who can aggressively negotiate with insurance companies while protecting their rights to full compensation.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, has a proud history helping its clients recover for their losses. Our attorneys can handle complex cases in all areas of personal injury.
The following are just a handful of the successes we have secured for our clients:
- A $8,323,000 settlement for a birth medical malpractice case due to the doctor’s failure to timely perform a C-section;
- A $4,200,000 settlement for an infant burned due to the building owner’s negligence when an unstable stove fell, spilling boiling water on the child;
- A $3,500,000 settlement for a driver who sustained a traumatic brain injury after a collision with a vehicle driven by an overworked employee who fell asleep at the wheel; and
- A $2,000,000 settlement for a pedestrian who tripped over a piece of plywood at a Bronx train station, suffering a dislocated knee, elbow, and other complications.
- A $2,000,000 settlement for a subcontractor who was not provided appropriate safety equipment at a worksite, resulting in a 25-foot fall after the roof collapsed.
These cases demonstrate our lawyers’ qualifications in handling a large range of personal injury cases. These are only representative of past results and are not a guarantee of the recovery you may receive as each case is unique. However, our Queens personal injury attorneys will work tirelessly to support you in your recovery. Our firm has the resources to craft a comprehensive strategy to secure a recovery for your physical and financial injuries. We will work with you to understand all the details of your case.
Find a Queens Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me
Choosing a personal injury attorney to represent you after an injury accident in Queens is a personal decision and one that should not be made lightly. We respect that you have many choices when it comes to picking a law firm. We want to have the opportunity to show you why so many injured Queens accident victims choose us to represent them after an accident. That is why we offer FREE initial consultations and reviews to all prospective clients.
We also encourage you to explore all your legal options as best as you can. You can find a Queens personal injury lawyer near you by visiting top legal sites, such as AVVO, Martindale, and Super Lawyers. We also encourage you to learn more about our Queens personal injury lawyers on those sites or on our website to find one that you believe may be the best fit for you and your case.
Contact us today at 212-455-7000 to schedule a free case evaluation to discuss how Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, can help you with your case. We can visit you in your home or hospital room to make it easier to connect, or we can meet virtually during this time. We offer free initial consultations, so you can learn more about your legal options.
Recovering the Money You Need After a Queens Injury Accident
What Type of Compensation Can You Receive?
After an accident in Queens, many injured survivors simply want to know how they can collect money to pay their medical bills and expenses. This is undoubtedly the most pressing thing on their mind, after their health and recovery.
You may need to file a claim first with your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance policy to collect money. You may also need to file some claims with your health insurance provider. However, once you exhaust your PIP, you must then file a claim with the “at fault” party to recover damages.
To make sure you receive compensation for the past, current, and future effects of the injuries on your life, you will need to carefully determine what damages to claim for the responsible parties. Our Queens personal injury lawyers will work with you to put together a comprehensive assessment of your injuries.
The most common damages recovered as part of a personal injury lawsuit include:
- Medical expenses. These expenses will include the cost of medical care resulting from the accident. Common medical expenses include emergency transportation, hospital stays, doctors’ bills, and prescription medications. You should also consider less obvious expenses, such as the costs of future medical care, assistive devices like wheelchairs, and long-term rehabilitation needs.
- Loss of income. If you missed work because of the accident or will miss work in the future, you should seek recovery for lost salary and wages. Don’t forget to consider your future earnings as well. If your injuries will limit your ability to perform certain job duties or to work full time, you can collect compensation for lost earning potential.
- Property damage. If your property sustained damage in the accident, seek recovery for repair or replacement of the damaged property. These damages are common in car accident cases where the vehicle suffers damage or destruction.
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress. You may be able to recover money for pain and suffering or emotional trauma that is a result of your injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment. If you are no longer to participate in activities that you previously enjoyed due to your injuries, the jury may decide to award damages to compensate you for these losses. For example, if you were an avid piano player but have suffered an injury to your hands, this would be a basis for recovery.
- Loss of consortium. A family member of the injured individual must bring his action. A loss of consortium claim seeks compensation for the loss of their relationship with the victim, including an intimate physical relationship.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are not intended to compensate for any specific injury. Instead, they punish the defendant for egregious behavior. The New York standard for receiving these damages is very high.
To secure full recovery, do not delay in bringing an action. States have established set periods of time for securing compensation after an accident. In New York, the statute of limitations for many personal injury claims is three years but it is only two and a half years for medical malpractice claims. If you fail to bring the action by then, you will lose your right to recover compensation.
Failure to timely file a lawsuit is not the only way the liable parties may try to avoid paying their share of the damages. It is common for liable parties to claim that you were partially responsible for your accident, either by failing to act with an ordinary level of care or through failure to secure timely medical assistance. They may also try to entice you with a settlement that is significantly less than what you deserve. Our Queens personal injury attorneys will work with you to ensure we bring your case promptly and help you secure the best possible recovery.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Queens Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal injury, also known as tort law, is a very broad area of law that provides a path for an injured person to secure relief for their injuries through the civil courts. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our Queens personal injury lawyers handle a wide range of cases. We know that no two cases are ever the same. There are differences between car accident cases and slip and fall cases. Yet, each one requires extensive knowledge specific to your type of accident.
Some of the personal injury cases we handle include:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Common categories of injury recoverable through tort law include:
- Negligent acts. A negligent act or omission that causes harm to another individual may be the basis of a tort lawsuit, including car accidents, medical malpractice, worker injury, dog bites, and slip and fall accidents.
- Intentional acts. More egregious than negligent acts, intentional acts involve situations where an individual purposefully commits an action that causes injury to another, such as assault or battery.
- Product liability. If an individual suffers an injury due to a defective product, they can seek recovery.
- Defamation. When someone’s reputation suffers an injury through the misstatements of another person, they may recover damages.
Much of the basis for personal injury law comes from prior decisions of the courts, though some states have also passed statutes governing tort relief.
“Great experience with skilled legal individuals that know what they are doing.” -Nesha G.
Types of Injuries in Queens
We Help Injured Accident Survivors Like You
Personal injury accidents can cause serious and devastating injuries. Some of these injuries are even life-threatening and can result in permanent impairment and disability. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have extensive experience helping injured accident survivors in Queens just like you. While no two injuries are ever quite the same, our experience has taught us that one of the best ways to secure maximum compensation is to work directly with your medical team. By working with your doctors and therapists, we can more fully understand your injuries and how they will affect your life and your future.
Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Head injuries. Head injuries are common in many personal injury accidents, whether it is from a strike to the ground during a slip and fall or contact with the car during a car accident.
- Neck and back injuries. Expect neck and back injuries in any accident that causes contact to the body or a vehicle in which someone is traveling.
- Spinal injuries. If the spine sustains damage in an accident, it could result in serious injuries, including paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Brain injuries might accompany a blow to the head and may have long-term implications for the injured party.
- Broken bones and fractures. Broken bones can have a serious impact on the injured individual, keeping them from regular activities and potentially requiring surgery depending on the severity of the break.
- Internal organ damage. If the accident includes a blow to the body, it could cause damage to internal organs, including myocardial or pulmonary contusions.
- Burns. If the incident involves fire, there is a high likelihood you might suffer from burns. Depending on the severity, the burn could require skin grafting and may result in permanent disfigurement.
- Loss of a limb. If a limb is severely damaged, the only option may be amputation.
- Cuts, bruises, and sprains. These may be your only injuries or they may accompany other injuries received as part of the accident.
Depending on the extent of the injuries, the individual may require emergency transportation, hospital stays, surgery, or long-term rehabilitation. Your injuries may also affect your entire future, and include obvious impacts, such as the need for ongoing care like an in-home nurse, the inability to work, pursue activities you enjoy, or maintain relationships.
Accidents Involving Personal Injuries or Fatalities Citywide
Who is to Blame?
Establishing Negligence After a Queens, NY Personal Injury Accident
For an individual to accept liability for a personal injury, you must establish that your injury was the result of a negligent or intentional act. Depending on the circumstances of your injury, many people or companies may have acted negligently or intentionally, causing your injury. Our Queens personal injury lawyers will work with you to understand the details of your case and determine which parties are appropriate to pursue for recovery.
If you got into a collision with a vehicle, whether as a pedestrian or driving another car, the negligent actions of the other driver may have caused the accident. Actions that can demonstrate negligence include speeding, failure to obey traffic laws, driving under the influence of alcohol or another controlled substance, or driving while texting or on the phone.
Doctor, Healthcare Professional or Medical Facility
If a doctor or other healthcare professional deviates from the recognized standard when providing treatment, they may bear liability for any injuries that are caused as a result. The recognized standard of care will be based on what a reasonably prudent medical professional would or would not have done under similar circumstances. This ultimately boils down to an evaluation of negligence.
If you suffered an injury in an accident while on someone else’s property, you may be able to recover for the injury. If a business owns the property, the obligations on the property owner will be more stringent. Business owners must maintain the property in reasonably safe conditions. On private property, the responsibilities will vary, but an owner is likely responsible for warning guests about non-obvious, dangerous conditions, and to maintain safe premises for invitees.
You can file for workers’ comp insurance if you suffered harm on the job, and while you don’t need to prove negligence, you may need a personal injury lawyer to help you prepare your claim and insulate yourself against a denial, or to appeal a wrongful denial. If a negligent third party contributed to your injuries, you may have a case against that person or company.
If an individual employed by the government causes your injury, you may need to seek recovery from the government directly. For cases against a federal government employee, the Federal Tort Claims Act will dictate your ability to recover.
Call Us. We Can Help
Contact Jacoby & Meyers LLP, if You Need a Queens, NY Personal Injury Law Firm
As a full-service law firm, Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, will work with you to develop a strategic plan for securing the maximum possible recovery for your injuries. If you find yourself the victim of someone else’s negligent or intentional act, our attorneys will work with you to understand the facts of your case. We will also investigate and uncover evidence of the other party’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing. In addition to establishing a strong case against the other party or parties, our attorneys will provide the necessary resources to calculate damages.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we believe that injured individuals should receive affordable legal representation. As a sign of this commitment, our personal injury clients do not pay any attorney’s fees unless we help them successfully settle their claims or secure verdicts in their favor. Contact us today at (877) 504-9075 for a free case evaluation. We are ready to help you!
“If it were not for the integral legal team of experts at Jacoby & Meyers I would not be where I am today with my recovery. I highly recommend hiring Jacoby & Meyers should you ever find yourself injured in an accident, and an individual or company needs to be held accountable for their negligence.” -C.J.
Check out some of our other reviews.