Queens Slip and Fall Lawyer
Did you slip and fall while shopping at any of the boutiques and stores in Queens Center or the Shops at SkyView Center? Maybe you slipped on an unsecured rug at Hampton Inn near JFK Airport? Perhaps you slipped on a wet floor in Flushing Hospital Medical Center or while leaving a subway station near Kissena Park. No matter where your slip and fall accident occurred, you deserve to have someone on your side that can help you collect the money you need to recover. A Queens slip and fall accident lawyer can help you through this difficult time and protect your rights at every turn.
Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents in Queens are quite prevalent. While some slip and fall accidents result in only minor injuries, many of them cause devastating, long-term injuries and suffering. But what happens when a Queens slip and fall accident results in more severe injuries? Is the survivor stuck with all the medical bills?
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Queens, you might already know how complicated the laws regarding slip and fall accidents in New York can be. You need the help of an experienced Queens slip and fall attorney, and the legal team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, is here for you.
Queens Slip and Fall Attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
Why Choose Us?
For nearly 50 years, the legal team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has dedicated themselves to providing their clients with the legal representation they need while preserving their privacy and dignity. Our law firm offers compassionate, yet aggressive legal guidance and counsel at every step of the legal process. We know that your time is valuable and better spent on your recovery. That is why we work tirelessly for you to help deliver the results you deserve.
The Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, attorneys have collectively won millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts for their clients while bringing their experience and knowledge to meet the unique and specific demands of each individual case. Some of our most notable slip and fall accident cases include:
- $2 million in Bronx trip and fall accident
- $1.625 million in Manhattan fall at a construction site
- $650,000 in fall outside New York home
- $600,000 in Manhattan slip and fall accident
While past results do not guarantee future success in a case, we are ready to fight for you to achieve a successful outcome. We start by offering our prospective slip and fall accident clients a free initial consultation and review of their case. This enables us to get to know you and your accident better and answer any legal questions you may have.
To learn more about your legal options after a Queens slip and fall accident, contact us today online or by phone at 212-455-7000 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We can meet you in our office, virtually, or even in the hospital after your slip and fall accident. When you need us most – we will be there to guide and assist you towards a better future.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
Getting the Compensation You Need
After a slip and fall accident in Queens, many injured accident survivors want to know, “How much is my slip and fall case worth?” The truth is that slip and fall accident cases are unique and the amount of compensation can vary from thousands to millions. It is not uncommon for slip and fall accident survivors to recover a substantial settlement. That is because property owners owe guests and patrons a duty of care. When they fail to keep their properties safe and free from hazardous conditions, New York laws hold them accountable.
In general, the amount of compensation you can recover depends on many factors, including how the severity of your injuries and how those injuries impact your future. The Queens slip and fall accident lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP will make sure that any award or settlement you receive is enough to cover all your injuries and damages – both now and in the future. This includes:
- Past medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Future medical costs and surgeries
- Pain and suffering
If you want to know how much your slip and fall case is worth, we encourage you to call our law firm for a free consultation. We can examine all aspects of your slip and fall to help determine if the property owner’s negligence is to blame.
Slip and Fall Accidents in Queens
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur in Queens?
Slip and falls account for over 2.8 million emergency room visits every year, and are the leading cause of hospital visits. In Queens alone, over 5,000 people are hospitalized every year for slip and fall-related injuries.
- The National Institute on Aging states that each year slip and falls result in more than 27,000 deaths.
- Per the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 22 percent of slip and fall accidents result in more than 31 days of missed work.
- Almost half of all accidental deaths that happen in a home are a result of a fall.
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere in Queens. From CitiField to LaGuardia Airport, these accidents occur at all hours of the day and night. Yet, some locations in Queens just seem more prone to slip and fall accidents.
Places where slip and fall accidents most commonly occur in Queens include:
- Stores. This includes department stores, grocery stores, malls, and boutique shops, such as Jackson Heights Shopping Center, Tower Square, and Queens Center.
- Restaurants and bars. This includes places like the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden in Astoria, Queens or any of the incredible restaurants in Jackson Heights.
- Movie theaters. This includes Queens Theatre, AMC Loews Fresh Meadows, and College Point Cinemas.
- Sports arenas or stadiums. This includes CitiField, Arthur Ashe Stadium, Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, and Meadow Lake.
- Playgrounds or parks. This includes the Unisphere, Queens Botanical Garden, Kissena Park, Cunningham Park, and Flushing Meadows Corona Park.
- Businesses and workplaces. This includes businesses in Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Jamaica Hills, and Bayside.
- Rental properties, apartment complexes, and homes. This includes properties in Astoria, Jackson Heights, Queensbridge, Sunnyside, and Long Island City.
- Hotels and motels. A slip and fall accident can occur at virtually any hotel or motel in Queens, including the many that line the streets around JFK airport and Laguardia airports, such as Comfort Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn, and SpringHill Suites by Marriott.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Causes in Queens
Slip and fall accidents in Queens can happen for a variety of reasons, but some situations are more likely to cause an accident than others.
Some of the most common causes of this type of accident include the following:
- Slipping on ice or snow that was not removed properly.
- Slipping on a liquid spill in a store that was not cleaned up promptly.
- Slipping on a wet floor because the owner did not take proper precautions, such as putting up a sign or laying down a mat.
- Tripping over a broken sidewalk.
- Tripping on an improperly maintained section of carpeting.
- Tripping over merchandise or other debris left out where customers are free to walk.
- Falling because of inadequate lighting.
- Falling down the stairs because the property owner did not remove debris.
- Falling down the stairs because of faulty handrails.
Who Is at Fault in a Queens Slip and Fall Accident?
Proving Liability in a Queens Slip and Fall Accident
Even though slip and fall accidents are widespread, proving that someone else was at fault for an injury you suffered due to a slip and fall accident can be challenging.
To show that another individual or business is liable for your damages, you need to prove the following things:
- A dangerous condition existed on someone else’s property.
- The property owner knew or should have known about the defect or dangerous condition before the accident occurred.
- The property owner had sufficient time to fix the defect before the accident but did not do so.
- The victim suffered injuries as a result of the defect.
In these types of accidents, there is no precise definition for the term “dangerous condition,” and courts deal with each situation on a case-by-case basis. However, some commonly known dangerous conditions result in slip and fall accidents quite frequently. These include liquid spills, weather issues (such as ice or snow), and structural defects.
Showing the Property Owner Knew About the Condition
The hardest part of proving fault in a slip and fall accident is showing that the property owner knew about the defect or the dangerous condition.
To prove this element, courts allow victims to show evidence of either constructive knowledge or actual knowledge.
- Actual knowledge is proven by having the landowner admit they knew about the defect.
- Constructive knowledge is shown by evidence indicating that the landowner knew or should have known about the defect before the accident occurred, even if they don’t admit it.
In some instances, constructive knowledge is relatively simple to establish if the dangerous condition likely existed for an extended period of time, as in a structural defect case. For example, it is hard for a property owner to deny that they knew about the defective condition if a staircase was missing a railing and the victim was hurt as a result. However, in situations where the victim was injured by slipping and falling on a spill in a store, it can be challenging to prove that the owner had notice of the dangerous condition as the spill could have occurred just minutes before the fall.
Sufficient Time to Fix the Condition
Another aspect that can be difficult to prove is that the property owner had adequate time to fix the dangerous condition. There are situations where this is challenging to show. For instance, when a slip and fall accident occurs shortly after a snowstorm, it can be tough to prove that the property owner had sufficient time to clear the area of snow and ice to remedy the dangerous condition.
Failed to Remedy the Condition Sufficiently Before the Fall
The final element of showing that the property owner did not sufficiently remedy the dangerous condition before a fall is usually proven by the fact that the accident occurred. However, in situations where the property owner made sufficient attempts to fix the defect but could not eliminate it, the property owner may not be liable for the victim’s injuries.
In the example of the snowstorm, if the property owner tried to clear up as much of the snow as they could on their property, that attempt may be enough to keep the owner free of liability for any accident. This is because they could show that they made their property as safe as they reasonably could be based on conditions.
Types of Queens Slip and Fall Injuries
We Help Injured Queens Slip and Fall Survivors Like You
Depending on the facts of a slip and fall accident, resulting injuries can range in severity and scope. But if you understand what typical slip and fall injuries look like, you may better know how to communicate about the injuries you have suffered to a doctor and your Queens slip and fall injury attorney. This can help your attorney prepare a more robust claim while also helping your doctor develop a more suitable treatment program for your injury.
Some common slip and fall injuries include:
- Broken bones. A fall can put a lot of stress and pressure on bones throughout a victim’s body. When the bones cannot withstand this force, they break. In slip and fall accidents, wrists, ankles, and hips are the most common broken bones.
- Soft tissue injuries. Damage to ligaments, tendons, and muscles can happen throughout the body during a fall, especially when the victim twists a body part, such as a knee, as they fall.
- Muscle strains and dislocations. Depending on how a victim falls, their shoulder may take the brunt of the impact. This often results in significant muscle strains or shoulder dislocations that sometimes require surgery.
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries. When a victim’s head hits the ground because of a fall, it can result in their brain experiencing a jolt, which can have dangerous repercussions.
- Severe lacerations and bruising. Falling on any surface can lead to bruising and some type of laceration. The deeper the cut, the higher the risk of infection. Any deep or extensive laceration needs to be evaluated by a doctor.
How Can You Help Your Queens Slip and Fall Accident Case?
Because Queens slip and fall accidents can occur any time, it is crucial to understand what steps to take following an accident. This information can keep you safe and help you gather the evidence you need to if you choose to pursue a legal claim.
- Follow Doctor’s Orders and Treatment Plan. Regardless of whether or not you think you need medical attention, you should go see a doctor. They can make sure that you do not have any hidden injuries and put your injuries on record, which will help your claim if you decide to pursue legal action. It is important to follow the doctor’s order precisely to give your case the best chance of success.
- Report the Incident. If you suffer injuries in a slip and fall accident, you need to report it. Whether to a manager, property owner, or business owner, it is essential to get the incident down in writing with all the details of what happened. In certain instances, you can even make a written report on your own and submit it to the establishment.
- Document Everything. If possible, make sure you document everything from the accident scene. Write down precisely what you were doing, how you fell, the weather conditions at the time of your fall, and the time and date when it occurred. If you have witness information, be sure to keep this in a safe place for reference.
- Be Careful About the Statements You Give. Just remember what you say can be used against you. You should watch what you say to the property owner and their insurance company after the accident. If possible, decline to make any statements until you have spoken to a Queens slip and fall attorney. Make sure to also avoid discussing the accident on social media and do not accept any blame for what happened.
- Contact a Queens Slip and Fall Lawyer at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP. Even if you are unsure you want to seek legal action after your slip and fall accident, you need to contact a Queens slip and fall lawyer as quickly as possible. Your attorney can explore all your legal options with you, so you can choose the one that is best for you. If you do decide to seek legal action, it important to know that slip and fall accidents are often complicated and require quite a bit of evidence to show that the other party has liability for your damages. An experienced legal team should handle the matter to ensure that everything is taken care of correctly. Your legal team can take pictures or videos of the location where you fell, including any icy patch, broken staircases, uneven road, or any other hazard that contributed to your fall and build a case to seek maximum compensation.
Our Queens Slip and Fall Accident Law Firm Can Help
Why Call the Queens Slip and Fall Lawyers of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Queens, you need legal services you can count on and trust. The attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, understand how tedious and complicated proving fault in slip and fall accidents can be. They also know what they have to do to provide you with the legal representation that you need.
Our Queens slip and fall attorneys may:
- Investigate the accident: Hiring an experienced Queens slip and fall attorney can help you get started on your claim as quickly as possible. This can ensure that critical evidence is not lost, witnesses are interviewed, and proper motions are filed.
- Handle all the communications: Dealing with defense attorneys and insurance companies is stressful, especially when they are trying to devalue or deny your claims. A Queens personal injury attorney can take over all of these communications and ensure that you are treated with the fairness and the respect that your case deserves.
If you have suffered harm as a result of a slip and fall accident, do not wait any longer. Call the law offices of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, for a free consultation at (877) 488-6523, open a live chat with one of our live representatives, or send us an email through our confidential contact page. Let us figure out how we can provide you with the legal help that you want and fight for the compensation you need.
“If it were not for the integral legal team of experts at Jacoby & Meyers I would not be where I am today with my recovery. I highly recommend hiring Jacoby & Meyers should you ever find yourself injured in an accident, and an individual or company needs to be held accountable for their negligence.” -C.J.
Check out some of our other reviews.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
39 Broadway Suite 1910,
New York, NY 10006