Brooklyn Scooter Accident Attorney
In recent years, electric scooters have taken the nation by storm and have become the latest urban mobility trend. In fact, in large cities like New York, these scooters have become a must for commuters, sightseers, and even students because of the scooters’ ease of operation.
Scooters are particularly popular in Brooklyn due to its expansive size, large population, and youth culture, and heavy traffic congestion. In fact, over half of Brooklyn residents live without automobiles, making transportation by scooter an attractive commuting option. Yet, even though scooters have become a massive hit, we hear alarming reports of severe and fatal accidents that have resulted from their use.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a Brooklyn scooter accident, you must understand your legal rights resources. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have helped countless victims take on their challenging scooter accident claims and recover financial compensation for their injuries. That’s why our Brooklyn scooter accident lawyers understand what it takes to fight for justice and compensation after a devastating scooter accident.
What’s Different About an Electric Scooter?
In general, scooters are two-wheeled devices that have a flat platform between their wheels. Usually, riders will stand on this platform and propel themselves forward by kicking the ground.
In comparison, electric scooters, or e-scooters, are motorized versions of a kick scooter and weigh less than one hundred pounds.
Typically, these electric scooters are defined as:
- Having a floorboard, handlebars, and a seat on which the operator can either sit or stand
- Being powered by people or an electric motor
- Having a max speed of no more than 20 miles per hour on a paved flat surface when powered solely by the electric motor
However, today’s electric scooters come with various engine sizes that can reach speeds much greater than what is allowed on the roads. Consequently, these scooters are often involved in serious and fatal accidents.
Common Brooklyn Scooter Accident Causes
Unfortunately, scooter accidents can result from a variety of contributing factors.
Some of the more common accidents that typically result in a scooter collision include:
- Driving while impaired due to alcohol or drugs
- Excessive speeding
- Distracted driving such as texting and driving
- Blind spots
- Failing to yield
- Running stop signs or red lights
- Poor weather conditions
- Nighttime driving
- Road defects such as potholes
- Low visibility
- Defective scooters
- Motor vehicle doors opening into traffic lanes
- Motor vehicles not being aware of these scooters on the road
The Most Common Injuries Resulting From Scooter Accidents in Brooklyn
Generally, the most frequent scooter accident injuries involve concussions, lacerations, and head injuries. In fact, of the estimated 14,651 e-scooter injuries that occur every year, almost 32 percent involve a head injury. However, these are not the only major injuries that can transpire.
Other common injuries that result from a scooter accident include:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Ankle and knee injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Facial scarring or trauma
- Nerve damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
These injuries may not present themselves immediately. For instance, head and brain injuries may take a few days to manifest. Consequently, you must remain mindful of symptoms such as recurring headaches, confusion, balance issues, vision problems, nausea, weakness, and numbness. If you experience any of these symptoms, see a doctor as soon as possible.
Safety Concerns Linked to Electric Scooters
There are numerous safety concerns when it comes to these electric scooters. For one, riders often have a false sense of confidence in using these machines because they do not receive a clear set of instructions indicating the potential dangers associated with these scooters or the best way to ride them. Consequently, rider error is often the leading cause of some of the most dangerous scooter accidents. However, poor scooter design and a lack of transparency are also frequently to blame. These problems have led to numerous e-scooter lawsuits against top scooter manufacturers for defective designs.
Some of the design issues that make electric scooters incredibly dangerous include:
- High center of gravity: Typically, to ride an electric scooter, you must stand. However, when you stand, it raises your center of gravity and makes you more top-heavy. Why is this so dangerous? Because the wheel spacing on these machines is rarely wide enough to provide stability for a high center of gravity.
- Lack of quality parts: Usually, the electric scooters you see on the road are consumer models, meaning they are not created with materials designed to withstand constant use. In truth, manufacturers make scooters with cheap materials that can withstand only limited riding. Thus, when these scooters endure frequent use, it can lead to operation issues, overuse, and deadly accidents.
- Weak headlights: Electric scooters rarely have adequate head- or tail-lights and you should not ride them at night. Yet, this does not stop riders from using them in the dark, which often leads to riders running into objects in the way or even oncoming cars.
- Small wheels: Many of these electric scooters have small wheels that are often solid rather than filled with air. This type of design can reduce maintenance costs, allowing manufacturers to produce more scooters for less; however, these solid wheels are not great at absorbing shock or providing the scooter with the same traction as an air-filled tire can. When riders use this type of electric scooter, it is not uncommon for them to lose control of their scooters and get into deadly accidents.
Who Is At Fault for a Brooklyn Electric Scooter Accident?
Proving liability after an electric scooter accident is often incredibly difficult, tedious, and complicated. For starters, it is often hard to pinpoint exactly who is liable or if more than one party is at fault for the accident.
Yet, even though liability often depends on the circumstances of the accident, some of the most common parties that are usually held accountable for a scooter accident include:
- Negligent drivers
- Negligent bus operators
- Negligent truck operators
- Negligent scooter manufacturers and designers
- Negligent pedestrians
- Negligent construction companies responsible for road defects
- Negligent city workers or government workers responsible for maintaining road defects
If you were in an electric scooter accident, you should contact an experienced scooter accident lawyer as quickly as possible. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our legal team can promptly get to work, investigate your accident, and figure out what happened, who was at fault, how to pursue maximum damages for the harm you’ve endured.
What to Do After a Brooklyn Electric Scooter Accident
It is essential to understand that the actions you take after an electric scooter accident are not only incredibly vital to your health and safety, but your legal rights as well. That is why if you are ever involved in an electric scooter accident in Brooklyn, you need to make sure you:
The first thing you need to do after an electric scooter accident is to contact 911. This is the fastest way to get your accident on record and call emergency medical services to the scene.
In addition, when the police officers arrive, they can start investigating the accident and writing down their findings in the police report. If you decide to pursue an injury claim, this report can provide you with critical information regarding what happened and who was at fault.
If you do not require any emergency medical treatment, you need to gather as much evidence from the accident scene as you can. This evidence needs to include photos and videos of the vehicles involved in the crash, the damages to your scooter, the position of these vehicles after the collision, any visible injuries you have, skid marks on the road, any road defects, the weather conditions at the time of the incident, traffic signs near the scene, and any other evidence that can show what happened.
Get Driver Details
Following the accident, you will need to exchange information with everyone involved in the crash. Make sure you get their names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information.
Obtain Witness Information
If there were witnesses at the scene who saw what happened, try to get their names and numbers. Witness statements can often provide you with crucial evidence regarding the accident and may help substantiate your claims; however, do not worry if witnesses don’t want to give you their information. When you work with an experienced Brooklyn scooter accident lawyer, he or she can obtain these details for you.
Be Careful What You Say
Keep in mind that when you speak to the other parties or witnesses at the scene, you should be careful what you say. Avoid making any definitive statements regarding the incident, and do not apologize for anything that happened. These types of statements can come back and hurt your claim.
Additionally, make sure that you do not post anything about the incident on internet forums or your social media accounts. These posts may end up becoming evidence that the defense can use against you down the road.
Keep a Journal of What Happened
Memories of a scooter accident will fade over time. That is why you must write down everything that happened as soon as you can. Documenting the accident in a journal is the best way to preserve critical facts and details. For these reasons, you need to take notes of everything you remember and experienced regarding the accident, including how you feel, the medical treatments you now need, the extent of your pain and suffering, and how this scooter accident changed your life.
“I highly recommend this law firm, very responsible and keep [on] top of your case.”
Common Questions From Brooklyn Scooter Accident Victims
If you were in a Brooklyn scooter accident, you deserve answers and information regarding the legal remedies you have after such a traumatic event. Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, has prepared these commonly asked questions regarding scooter accidents, injuries, and lawsuits that many of our scooter accident victims have. We hope that with this information, you have a better understanding of the legal actions you can pursue maximum financial recovery.
1. Who should I name as a defendant in my Brooklyn scooter accident claim?
If you have suffered harm in an electric scooter accident in Brooklyn, you have a legal right to file a lawsuit against those parties responsible for your harm, including:
- Other motorists: If another motorist was driving recklessly or negligently (such as driving while intoxicated) and hit your electric scooter, that driver may face liability for your accident.
- Negligent pedestrians: If a pedestrian’s negligent actions caused your scooter crash, the pedestrian may face liability for the harm you’ve suffered.
- Malfunctioning scooter parts: If your scooter crash resulted from a brake failure, throttle problem, or another defective part, the scooter rental company, manufacturers, and even the service contractor can be held liable for the damages that you sustained.
It may prove difficult to figure out who was at fault for a scooter accident or whether there were multiple parties involved. Generally, to make such a determination, you need to perform a thorough investigation into the crash. Fortunately, with the help of the experienced scooter accident lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our legal team can handle this investigation for you and ensure that your lawsuit is set up for success.
2. How much time do I have to file an injury claim following my Brooklyn scooter accident?
New York imposes a specific time limit, known as the statute of limitations, that dictates how much time you have to take legal action following an alleged offense. If you do not bring your lawsuit within this allotted time, you may struggle to collect compensation for your injuries. In New York, the statute of limitations to file an injury claim following a scooter accident is three years from the accident date. It’s essential to note that this rule also contains numerous expectations that can lengthen or shorten the applicable time to file.
Contact an experienced scooter accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our legal team can determine exactly how much time you have to file your case while also filing your legal motions and documents accurately and before time runs out.
3. Why are electric scooters so dangerous in Brooklyn?
Even though electric scooters are cost-effective and efficient, they do not provide riders with any real protection. Besides a helmet, which many riders do not wear, scooter riders are left with no barrier between themselves and the road if an accident occurs. Additionally, because scooters move at relatively slow speeds, riders may not move fast enough to avoid a collision with larger and faster motor vehicles. Plus, as these scooters are often difficult for other drivers to see, these scooters can get into serious accidents with other automobiles and even pedestrians.
4. Will insurance cover my injuries following a scooter accident in Brooklyn?
New York’s no-fault insurance does not cover Vespa or scooter riders (depending on the engine’s size) in a crash.
As a result, if you have suffered harm in a scooter accident, you will need to file a claim against the party that caused your injury to receive compensation for your medical bills and lost wages. Don’t delay; contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, as soon as possible, and let our experienced Brooklyn scooter accident lawyers promptly figure out your legal options and how to pursue maximum damages on your behalf.
5. How do I prove that another party caused my Brooklyn scooter accident?
To collect compensation for a scooter accident, you need to prove that another party was responsible for your injuries. This means that you need to show the party’s negligent or intentional actions caused your harm.
Typically, to prove negligence, you need to establish:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care.
- The liable party breached this duty of care.
- This breach was the direct and proximate cause of your accident.
- You suffered significant losses and damages.
Proving that another party was responsible for your injuries can prove complicated. Establishing liability requires legal knowledge and an understanding of negligence and personal injury proceedings. Don’t entrust your future with just any attorney; rather, enlist the services of an award-winning law firm with experience recovering compensation on behalf of Brooklyn scooter accident victims. When you work with Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, however, our skilled scooter accident attorneys can handle your case investigation for you, making sure to gather the vital evidence needed to prove liability and damages.
6. What damages are available following My Brooklyn scooter accident?
If your Brooklyn scooter accident resulted from the actions of a negligent or reckless driver or a faulty scooter, you may recover certain types of compensation. In New York, this compensation typically includes economic, non-economic, and punitive damages:
Economic damages: These damages involve actual and verifiable losses that result from an accident.
Economic damages include:
- Medical bills, including past, present, and future medical expenses, such as doctor visits, hospital stay, surgeries, and prescription medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Personal property damages
- At-home nursing care
- Replacement services, such as grocery shopping or child care services
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages: These damages involve rather subjective losses that are not easily quantified.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of a limb
Punitive damages: Unlike other compensatory damages, which compensate victims for their losses, punitive damages punish a defendant for particularly egregious actions and deter similar actions in the future. For a court in New York to award punitive damages, however, the victim must show that the defendant acted with complete disregard for the victim’s health and safety. Consequently, courts only award these damages in exceptional cases.
7. What evidence do I need to help my Brooklyn Scooter accident case?
In general, the evidence that will prove most beneficial for your case will depend on your accident’s specific circumstances.
However, evidence that is almost always useful in a scooter accident claim includes:
- Photos of the accident scene
- Pictures of the scooter that was involved and the damage that resulted
- Witness statements from those who saw the accident
- Police reports
- Medical reports
- Documentation of the injuries
- Cellphone records
- Journals describing the accident
- Video footage of what happened
Don’t worry if you could not obtain all of this evidence following your Brooklyn scooter accident. When you work with the skilled scooter accident attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we can make sure to obtain all of this evidence for you and gather the necessary information needed to show what happened and who was at fault for your crash and injuries. In the immediate aftermath of your accident, you should focus on your physical and mental recovery; let your Brooklyn scooter accident attorney worry about the legal complexities of your claim.
8. Should I speak with the insurance company following my Brooklyn scooter accident?
Discussing your scooter accident with the insurance company may seem beneficial. Unfortunately, it’s often not the best idea. These insurance companies are not your friend, and they are not here to help you. In truth, insurance companies are a business, and like other businesses, they want to make money. By paying you out less on your claim, they will make more money. That is why insurance adjusters will try any tactic they can to get you to admit fault for the accident so that they can justify paying you less than what your claim is worth or denying your claim altogether.
For these reasons, if the insurance company is calling, you need to be careful. In fact, it may be in your best interest to let them know that all future conversations will be through your lawyer. Once an attorney from Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, takes over these discussions, we can ensure that you do not say anything that can harm your claim while fighting for maximum compensation on your behalf.
9. Should I accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer?
Most accident victims assume that if an insurance company offers them money for their injuries following the accident, they should accept that amount without asking any questions or pursuing additional compensation. This is not true, and most of the time, taking this settlement offer is not advisable.
Frequently, when an insurance company offers you a settlement shortly after your accident, the company is trying to get you to accept this figure as quickly as possible without discussing it with your lawyer. Many of these victims come to find out that this offer is often a meager amount that does not reflect the case’s true value. If the injured individual accepts the initial offer, he or she cannot seek additional compensation in the future.
If you have received a settlement offer, our firm recommends that you do not accept any money until you have completed all of your medical treatments. This can provide you with a better understanding of the extent of your total expenses and your future medical needs. We also recommend that you let our experienced Brooklyn scooter accident attorneys review your case and evaluate the fairness of your settlement offer. If it is not fair, we can head back to the negotiation table with the insurance company and fight for a settlement that is.
10. Why should I contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, following my Brooklyn scooter accident?
While no compensation can fully erase the damage that your scooter accident caused, at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we know that obtaining financial recovery for your injuries and losses can help you start rebuilding your life after such a traumatizing event. That is why our legal team is here for you, ready to fight for your rights and pursue maximum compensation on your behalf.
When you retain one of our experienced Brooklyn scooter accident lawyers, our attorneys can provide you with the legal help you need to take on these challenging legal claims:
- We can evaluate your potential claim, provide you with the legal advice you need, and explain your legal options.
- We can go over all of your questions and concerns and provide you with the support and exceptional advocacy you need.
- We can investigate your case and build the strongest possible claim by securing critical evidence needed to prove liability and damages.
- We can hold all negligent parties accountable for your harm.
- We can handle all the negotiations and discussions with the insurance company, ensuring that we pursue fair compensation on your behalf.
- We can bring in the experts, such as accident reconstructionists, economists, engineers, and doctors, to substantiate your claims.
- We can take your case to trial and work relentlessly to bring your case to a successful resolution.
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a Brooklyn scooter accident, do not wait any longer to get the legal help you need. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we are here to help you with your Brooklyn scooter accident claim; contact us today.
Why Choose Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
The law firm of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, was founded in 1972 to provide top-quality representation to every client. Now with offices throughout New York and New Jersey, we represent those injured in numerous types of accidents. Moreover, we give our clients the straightforward and compassionate legal representation that they need, including free at-home medical care and hospital visits, free secure access to all of their case files, and free answers to all of their questions. We do not even charge a fee unless we can obtain the settlement or verdict that your case requires.
Because of our experience, drive, resources, and dedication, no case is too large or too small for us to take on.
We have won millions of dollars in settlement awards and jury verdicts for our clients. Even though we cannot guarantee that your injury claim will produce the same results, we can ensure that when you retain Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, our legal team can fight hard to secure every last dollar that your injury has cost you.
Contact an Experienced Brooklyn Scooter Accident Lawyer Immediately
After a scooter accident, you should contact an experienced and knowledgeable Brooklyn personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. These attorneys can not only determine whether you have a viable injury claim, but also can work diligently to assess all of your options and take the required actions to secure you as much money as possible.
Leave the legal complexities and negotiations with at-fault parties to your attorney, while you work with your doctor to fast track your physical recovery. Contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, today, call our office at (718) 294-0813, or open a chat with one of our live representatives for your free case evaluation, and let our legal team show you what we can do for you.
1711 Kings Highway
Brooklyn, NY 11229