Manhattan Taxi Accident Attorney
Table of Contents
As one of the world’s major cultural, business, and entertainment centers, Manhattan draws visitors from New York, throughout the country, and across the globe, providing massive business for taxis. Also, Manhattan residents sometimes opt for taxis instead of the subway or driving their own vehicles. When taxi drivers and their employers engage in negligent behavior, they put passengers, pedestrians, and others who share the road at risk for accidents and injuries.
Few features of New York City streets are more iconic or ever-present than yellow cabs. Even in the era of Uber, Lyft, and CitiBike, they continue to transport passengers around Manhattan.
As common as a cab ride is for any Manhattan resident, worker, or visitor, few of us ever give much thought to what would happen if the cab we were riding in crashed and we got hurt, or if a cab ran into us while we drove down, rode on, or crossed a City street. Victims of Manhattan taxi accidents usually confront that difficult reality without any preparation for how to obtain the compensation they need and deserve for the injuries and losses they suffered.
The Law Firm of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
Since its founding in 1972, Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has grown into one of the country’s largest and most innovative personal injury law firms. With offices in New Jersey and New York, and serving clients throughout the Tri-State region (and beyond), we provide clients with smart, sensible, compassionate, and determined legal representation in a wide array of personal injury matters.
Our team dedicates a significant amount of its resources to advocating for clients who sustained injuries in Manhattan traffic accidents, many of them involving yellow taxicabs. We have a long and storied track record of success in obtaining top-dollar settlements and jury verdicts on our clients’ behalf, to help them pay for medical care, replace lost income, and rebuild their lives.
According to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, around 12,000 taxi cabs and 50,000 taxi drivers operate on New York City streets, making over 200,000 trips every day. A study showed that New York cab drivers get a bad rap: they’re actually better drivers than the average motorist. Still, with that many trips, crashes are bound to occur. And they do. Consider:
- In one recent month, there were 305 taxi accidents in New York City, of which 72 occurred in Manhattan.
- Taxi passengers face double the risk of a severe injury in an accident compared to occupants of other vehicles;
- After eight hours behind the wheel, driving ability declines dangerously, but most New York City cab drivers work 9.5 hours per day.
Manhattan streets are notoriously congested, all the more so now with street closures and limitations.
Accidents occur when cab drivers (and, to be fair, other drivers) make dangerous decisions behind the wheel, including:
- Aggressive driving
- Distracted driving (texting, talking on the phone, eating)
- Failing to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Not stopping at a red light, or trying to beat a yellow traffic signal
- Not looking out for bicyclists or pedestrians at the intersection
- Making unsafe lane changes
In other words, cab drivers make the same mistakes, with the same potentially deadly consequences, as other drivers. Regardless of how a Manhattan cab crash happens, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has the skill and know-how to obtain compensation for injured victims and their families.
Although common on Manhattan streets, taxi accidents at times present uncommonly difficult legal challenges for victims seeking compensation. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have decades of accumulated experience and street smarts to help us navigate the twists and turns of pursuing money to pay for our clients’ injuries and losses in cab crashes.
One of our most important, and often complicated, jobs is to determine just who has legal liability for injuries caused by a Manhattan taxicab accident.
In any case, the parties potentially responsible can include:
- The cab driver, if he engaged in dangerous conduct behind the wheel that resulted in an accident and victims’ injuries;
- The taxi medallion owner, who has legal liability for the actions of a driver under New York City administrative law;
- The taxicab owner (if different from the medallion owner), who may have legal liability for the actions of the driver, depending upon the legal relationship between the driver and the owner;
- Automotive manufacturers, if parts they produced and sold caused a mechanical failure leading to a taxicab crash in Manhattan;
- Others whose dangerous actions behind the wheel of a vehicle, or in conducting commercial or personal activities on a City street, cause an accident with a Manhattan yellow cab;
- Local and state governments, which can have liability if a City-owned vehicle (such as an MTA bus) crashes into a cab, or if an unreasonably dangerous road condition that the City or State should have fixed or warned drivers about causes a crash.
This is just a representative list of parties who could, potentially, have liability for injuries and losses sustained in a Manhattan cab crash. To figure out who may have a legal liability to you for the harm you suffered in a taxicab accident, always seek the advice and counsel of a sophisticated, street-smart Manhattan car accident injury attorney, like a member of the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP.
Manhattan taxi cab accidents can inflict a wide variety of injuries on victims.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we represent clients who have suffered:
- Traumatic brain injuries that leave them battling an assortment of debilitating motor, cognitive, and emotional impairments that interfere with their daily lives;
- Spinal cord injuries that rob accident victims of the use of their limbs, leaving them confined to a wheelchair;
- Neck, shoulder, and back injuries that force victims to live with chronic pain and limited range of motion;
- Broken bones that can require multiple surgeries to correct, and may still leave victims with physical disabilities; and
- Severe lacerations and abrasions that cause dangerous blood loss and infection risk, and leave disfiguring scars.
No matter what kind of injuries a victim of a Manhattan taxi accident sustains, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has the experience and depth of knowledge to evaluate the victim’s prognosis and determine the appropriate amount of compensation to seek in a legal action against any parties at-fault.
Victims of Manhattan taxi accidents deserve compensation for their injuries. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP we represent clients in holding parties at fault for a cab crash financially accountable for cab accident injuries and losses.
Every Manhattan cab accident matter we handle has its own unique set of acts that determines the categories and amounts of damages a client might hope to recover. As a general proposition, however, our clients can often take legal action seeking compensation for:
Economic damages, which represent the client’s out-of-pocket costs associated with cab accident injuries, including;
- Medical Bills and Expenses (past and future)
- Lost Wages (past and future)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Rehabilitative Services
- Household Services
- Personal Property Damages
- Other out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic damages that compensate our client for general harm done by the Manhattan taxi accident, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium and harm to other personal relationships; and
- Loss of enjoyment of life and activities
Punitive damages, which a client may have the right to receive in cases where the at-fault party’s actions that caused the accident were especially reckless or outrageous.
We can never guarantee that our client will recover all, or any, of the categories of damages listed above, of course. Every case is different. However, we can promise to work day-in, day-out to achieve the most favorable outcome available for each client’s circumstances.
Who pays for my medical expenses after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident?
You are responsible for paying your medical bills after an accident, but if your injuries resulted from another party’s negligence, you may qualify to recover compensation that reimburses you for your medical treatment costs. New York is a no-fault insurance state. For many taxi accident victims, the first step to recovering compensation is to file a claim under their own personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.
New York drivers who register vehicles must purchase at least $50,000 in PIP coverage, which also covers them if they sustain injuries as a passenger, as a pedestrian, or while riding their bicycle. If you suffered severe injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident, you will likely use up your PIP benefits quickly, especially if you only have the minimum coverage. In this case, you must file a claim against the cab driver and/or cab company responsible for your injuries to seek additional compensation.
A law known as a statute of limitations sets forth how long an individual has to take legal action after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident. Failure to take action within this time period usually results in the person losing legal rights to compensation.
In New York, the statute of limitations for a legal claim related to a Manhattan taxi accident is three years from the date of the person’s injury, in most cases. However, depending on the circumstances, this time can be extended or shortened.
The law does allow for some exceptions. In certain situations, a court might pause (or toll) the time clock to allow for more time; however, this is extremely rare. If you are running out of time to take action, you should still contact a lawyer who can evaluate your case and advise you on whether your situation might qualify for an extension.
If a family member you love died from fatal taxi accident injuries, surviving eligible family members generally have two years from the date of death to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the taxi driver or taxi company allegedly responsible for the death.
To avoid the consequences of missing a statute of limitations deadline, always consult an experienced Manhattan Taxi accident lawyer as soon as possible after suffering injuries in any sort of livery accident. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we pay close attention to the various deadlines our clients may face for taking action after a Manhattan cab accident, to ensure that they enforce their rights effectively and on time.
The actions you take after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi cab accident can influence your health, wellbeing, and legal rights to compensation.
No one-size-fits-all advice applies to cab accident victims, but it may help to follow these tips:
- Call 911: After any Manhattan cab accident, always call the police. The officers who respond will investigate the crash scene, take down all relevant information, and write a police report.
- Seek medical attention: Always let an EMT check you over at the scene, and also follow up with your primary care doctor or at an urgent care clinic within 24 hours. This will ensure that serious injuries do not go untreated, and that medical records exist of the link between your injuries and the Manhattan cab accident.
- Get everyone’s information and take pictures: If you can do so safely and without further injuring yourself, down your taxicab driver’s name, contact information, company information, driver’s license number, medallion number, and insurance information. If other people were involved in the accident, take down their personal information as well. It also helps to take pictures or videos with your cell phone of everything you see at the accident scene. These images may provide valuable evidence for your attorney.
- Beware of quick settlement offers: Never, ever, agree to settle or make things with the cab driver, cab owner, or anyone else’s insurance company, without first speaking with an experienced lawyer. Someone with legal liability to you might offer you a quick payment to try to avoid further financial responsibility for your injuries and losses. Taking that money could forfeit your rights. Say no thanks and leave negotiation of any payment to our skilled Manhattan taxi accident attorneys.
Should I accept an offer to settle with the Manhattan taxi company’s insurance company?
Insurance companies rely on a variety of strategies to protect their profits and avoid financial liability. One strategy that these companies use to avoid making large payouts because of negligent policyholders is to make a settlement offer soon after the accident. It’s rarely advisable to accept these initial offers; at the very least, you should have an experienced taxi accident attorney review any offer before accepting it.
Early settlement offers create two related issues for taxi accident victims. First, once you accept a settlement offer, you typically also waive your right to seek further compensation for any additional damages that you may incur. Second, these offers typically come in before you know the full scope of your injuries and whether you will make a full recovery. Quick settlement offers are most often lowball offers that do not fully compensate accident victims for their injuries, but these offers often appear tempting because severe injuries leave accident victims with piles of medical bills and weeks or months of unpaid time off work.
Settling too early can leave taxi accident victims without the money needed for recovery. This isn’t a problem for those who make a complete recovery, but individuals who suffer permanent injuries, need surgery, or need ongoing treatment and care can expect continued medical expenses. It’s best to let a lawyer use an initial settlement offer as a starting point for negotiations. In most cases, your attorney can negotiate a higher amount to provide additional compensation for your injuries and ensure that you have what you need for future medical expenses.
How can a Manhattan taxi accident lawyer help me?
Attorneys draft documents and file paperwork to help their clients seek compensation for damages, but these activities are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what our Manhattan taxi accident lawyers do to help our clients.
If you have sustained injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident, our experienced taxi accident attorneys can:
Evaluate your claim. It’s foolish to take legal action to recover damages for injuries if you do not have a viable claim. In your very first meeting with a lawyer, he or she will review the facts of your case and determine your eligibility to recover damages. This gives you a better idea of what to expect in the coming months.
Investigate to support your case. Although you might have a viable claim, you also need evidence to support your case. Evidence serves as leverage in settlement negotiations and provides the information you need to prove your case to the court. Each case is different, but types of evidence that your lawyer might gather to support your case include:
- Police reports and medical records
- Driving history of the taxi driver
- Taxi driver’s cell phone records
- Taxi cab’s maintenance records
- The criminal history of the taxi driver
- Eyewitness statements
- Video footage
Communicate with insurance companies. You might think that your lawyer handling communications with the insurance company is a courtesy that frees up your time, but your lawyer is also protecting you. Insurance adjusters use all types of tactics to persuade claimants to admit partial or full blame for an accident, and adjusters twist statements to justify denying a claim or offering a low settlement amount. Lawyers know how to talk with insurance adjusters and can guide you on any conversations that you do have with them, protecting the value of your claim and giving you the best chance of receiving the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Negotiate with insurance companies. Settlement negotiations are a large part of the process of recovering damages after suffering injuries in a taxi accident or any other car accident. Insurance companies sometimes play hardball or make predatory offers to accident victims.
Other times, they go out of their way to drag out a claim with the hopes of causing enough frustration that the claimant will give up. Insurance providers often take claimants and settlement negotiations more seriously when an attorney is involved. Attorneys are trained negotiators that know the ins and outs of dealing with insurance companies.
Not only is it likely that your attorney can negotiate a higher settlement than you could on your own, but also your attorney is likely to help you settle without pursuing costly litigation.
Litigate when settlement proves unviable. Although it’s less expensive to avoid litigation, sometimes you have no other option. Insurance companies refuse to offer fair compensation, they dispute liability, and/or they use questionable tactics to devalue a claim. In these cases, lawyers prepare their clients’ claims for trial and argue these claims in court. Ultimately, an experienced Manhattan taxi accident lawyer advocates for clients in multiple ways from the very first meeting, providing peace of mind and time for healing.
Will my Manhattan taxi accident case go to trial?
The majority of claims that involve traffic accidents, including taxi accidents, settle out of court. Litigation is costly for both sides, which is why most parties prefer to avoid litigation to save time and money; however, if the taxi company refuses to negotiate and disputes liability, going to trial is likely. Although it’s doubtful you will need to go to court, you should prepare for that possibility. Your attorney will build the best case possible against the other side to use as leverage for settlement negotiations. If negotiations fail, he or she will litigate your case. To ensure that your rights are protected if your case goes to trial, you should retain an attorney with trial experience, like those at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP.
How long will it take to resolve my Manhattan taxi accident claim?
Each case has distinctive facts and circumstances that influence its timeline, making it impossible to predict how long it will take to settle or litigate your specific claim. If negotiations go smoothly, and the taxi driver does not dispute liability, you could reach a settlement offer in as little as three to six months. In other cases, negotiations drag on, and you might have to wait longer than one or two years. Litigation is the longest resolution to a case.
If your attorney has to take your accident injury case to court, you may have to wait at least two years for a resolution. Scheduling court dates, witnesses, and additional paperwork add months to the timeline. When you consult our Manhattan taxi accident attorneys, you can get a better idea of the challenges and obstacles you might face that could impact your timeline for resolving your claim.
What damages could I recover after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident?
If you reach a settlement with the taxi company’s insurance provider or a court rules in your favor and awards damages, you could receive compensation for these economic and non-economic losses related to your taxi accident injuries:
- Medical expenses not paid by PIP coverage, such as hospitalization, surgery, doctor visits, diagnostic testing, and travel expenses to and from the doctor
- Estimated future medical expenses when a taxi accident leads to permanent injuries that require ongoing treatment, additional surgeries, or long-term care
- Rehabilitation expenses to help accident victims recover and cope with any permanent injuries, including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and behavioral therapy
- Lost wages from missing work due to the taxi accident, hospitalization, and recovery
- Estimated future lost wages when a taxi accident causes a catastrophic injury that prevents someone from returning to the job or working in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Diminished quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Your Manhattan taxi accident lawyer can evaluate your claim and advise you on what specific damages may apply to your situation.
Can I afford to hire a Manhattan taxi accident attorney?
Yes, you can afford our legal counsel. We understand the financial challenges that come with suffering severe injuries, so at Jacoby & Meyers LLP we take new clients on a contingent fee basis. If you suffered injuries in a taxi accident, you can meet with a lawyer for free to discuss your case, your injuries, and the impact they have had on your life.
If you decide to hire an attorney, you do not have to pay an upfront retainer like you would for a criminal defense attorney or divorce lawyer. Rather, your lawyer will deduct attorney fees and other costs related to your case from any compensation that you receive for your taxi accident injuries, whether settlement money from an insurance provider or a jury award.
Experienced Manhattan Taxi Accident Injury Lawyers for You
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident that was not your fault—whether you were a cab passenger, an occupant of another vehicle, a cyclist, or a pedestrian—then you deserve fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP today for a free case evaluation to learn about your potential rights to financial compensation.
Reach us today online, at (212) 445-7000, or through a webchat with one of our live representatives.
New York, NY 10006
“David was always there for me to guide me through this difficult car accident. He helped me get better, was always there to listen to me and fought to get me an amazing settlement. I am very pleased with this beyond expectations result and his professional handling. If you need a lawyer, David and his team is the one to go to!”
Review by: Qing L.
Check out some of our other reviews.