Manhattan Taxi Accident Attorneys
Few features of New York City streets are more iconic or ever-present than yellow cabs. Even in the era of Uber, Lyft, and CitiBike, they continue to transport passengers around Manhattan.
As common as a cab ride is for any Manhattan resident, worker, or visitor, few of us ever give much thought to what would happen if the cab we were riding in crashed and we got hurt, or if a cab ran into us while we drove down, rode on, or crossed a City street. Victims of Manhattan taxi accidents usually confront that difficult reality without any preparation for how to obtain the compensation they need and deserve for the injuries and losses they suffered.
The Law Firm of Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
Since its founding in 1972, Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has grown into one of the country’s largest and most innovative personal injury law firms. With offices in New Jersey and New York, and serving clients throughout the Tri-State region (and beyond), we provide clients with smart, sensible, compassionate, and determined legal representation in a wide array of personal injury matters.
Our team dedicates a significant amount of its resources to advocating for clients who sustained injuries in Manhattan traffic accidents, many of them involving yellow taxicabs. We have a long and storied track record of success in obtaining top-dollar settlements and jury verdicts on our clients’ behalf, to help them pay for medical care, replace lost income, and rebuild their lives.
The Risk of Manhattan Taxi Accidents
According to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, around 12,000 taxi cabs and 50,000 taxi drivers operate on New York City streets, making over 200,000 trips every day. A study showed that New York cab drivers get a bad rap: they’re actually better drivers than the average motorist. Still, with that many trips, crashes are bound to occur. And they do. Consider:
- In one recent month, there were 305 taxi accidents in New York City, of which 72 occurred in Manhattan.
- Taxi passengers face double the risk of a severe injury in an accident compared to occupants of other vehicles;
- After eight hours behind the wheel, driving ability declines dangerously, but most New York City cab drivers work 9.5 hours per day.
Manhattan Taxi Accident Causes
Manhattan streets are notoriously congested, all the more so now with street closures and limitations.
Accidents occur when cab drivers (and, to be fair, other drivers) make dangerous decisions behind the wheel, including:
- Aggressive driving
- Distracted driving (texting, talking on the phone, eating)
- Failing to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Not stopping at a red light, or trying to beat a yellow traffic signal
- Not looking out for bicyclists or pedestrians at the intersection
- Making unsafe lane changes
In other words, cab drivers make the same mistakes, with the same potentially deadly consequences, as other drivers. Regardless of how a Manhattan cab crash happens, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has the skill and know-how to obtain compensation for injured victims and their families.
Manhattan Taxi Accident Liability: Who Is at Fault?
Although common on Manhattan streets, taxi accidents at times present uncommonly difficult legal challenges for victims seeking compensation. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we have decades of accumulated experience and street smarts to help us navigate the twists and turns of pursuing money to pay for our clients’ injuries and losses in cab crashes.
One of our most important, and often complicated, jobs is to determine just who has legal liability for injuries caused by a Manhattan taxicab accident.
In any case, the parties potentially responsible can include:
- The cab driver, if he engaged in dangerous conduct behind the wheel that resulted in an accident and victims’ injuries;
- The taxi medallion owner, who has legal liability for the actions of a driver under New York City administrative law;
- The taxicab owner (if different from the medallion owner), who may have legal liability for the actions of the driver, depending upon the legal relationship between the driver and the owner;
- Automotive manufacturers, if parts they produced and sold caused a mechanical failure leading to a taxicab crash in Manhattan;
- Others whose dangerous actions behind the wheel of a vehicle, or in conducting commercial or personal activities on a City street, cause an accident with a Manhattan yellow cab;
- Local and state governments, which can have liability if a City-owned vehicle (such as an MTA bus) crashes into a cab, or if an unreasonably dangerous road condition that the City or State should have fixed or warned drivers about causes a crash.
This is just a representative list of parties who could, potentially, have liability for injuries and losses sustained in a Manhattan cab crash. To figure out who may have a legal liability to you for the harm you suffered in a taxicab accident, always seek the advice and counsel of a sophisticated, street-smart Manhattan car accident injury attorney, like a member of the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP.
Manhattan Taxi Accident Injuries
Manhattan taxi cab accidents can inflict a wide variety of injuries on victims.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we represent clients who have suffered:
- Traumatic brain injuries that leave them battling an assortment of debilitating motor, cognitive, and emotional impairments that interfere with their daily lives;
- Spinal cord injuries that rob accident victims of the use of their limbs, leaving them confined to a wheelchair;
- Neck, shoulder, and back injuries that force victims to live with chronic pain and limited range of motion;
- Broken bones that can require multiple surgeries to correct, and may still leave victims with physical disabilities; and
- Severe lacerations and abrasions that cause dangerous blood loss and infection risk, and leave disfiguring scars.
No matter what kind of injuries a victim of a Manhattan taxi accident sustains, the team at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP has the experience and depth of knowledge to evaluate the victim’s prognosis and determine the appropriate amount of compensation to seek in a legal action against any parties at-fault.
Compensation for Manhattan Taxi Accident Injuries
Victims of Manhattan taxi accidents deserve compensation for their injuries. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP we represent clients in holding parties at fault for a cab crash financially accountable for cab accident injuries and losses.
Every Manhattan cab accident matter we handle has its own unique set of acts that determines the categories and amounts of damages a client might hope to recover. As a general proposition, however, our clients can often take legal action seeking compensation for:
Economic damages, which represent the client’s out-of-pocket costs associated with cab accident injuries, including;
- Medical Bills and Expenses (past and future)
- Lost Wages (past and future)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Rehabilitative Services
- Household Services
- Personal Property Damages
- Other out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic damages that compensate our client for general harm done by the Manhattan taxi accident, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium and harm to other personal relationships; and
- Loss of enjoyment of life and activities
Punitive damages, which a client may have the right to receive in cases where the at-fault party’s actions that caused the accident were especially reckless or outrageous.
We can never guarantee that our client will recover all, or any, of the categories of damages listed above, of course. Every case is different. However, we can promise to work day-in, day-out to achieve the most favorable outcome available for each client’s circumstances.
Time Limits for Taking Legal Action After a Manhattan Taxi Accident
A law known as a statute of limitations sets forth how long an individual has to take legal action after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident. Failure to take action within this time period usually results in the person losing legal rights to compensation.
In New York, the statute of limitations for a legal claim related to a Manhattan taxi accident is three years from the date of the person’s injury, in most cases. However, depending on the circumstances, this time can be extended or shortened.
To avoid the consequences of missing a statute of limitations deadline, always consult an experienced Manhattan Taxi accident lawyer as soon as possible after suffering injuries in any sort of livery accident. At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we pay close attention to the various deadlines our clients may face for taking action after a Manhattan cab accident, to ensure that they enforce their rights effectively and on time.
Actions to Take After a Manhattan Taxi Accident
The actions you take after suffering injuries in a Manhattan taxi cab accident can influence your health, wellbeing, and legal rights to compensation.
No one-size-fits-all advice applies to cab accident victims, but it may help to follow these tips:
- Call 911: After any Manhattan cab accident, always call the police. The officers who respond will investigate the crash scene, take down all relevant information, and write a police report.
- Seek medical attention: Always let an EMT check you over at the scene, and also follow up with your primary care doctor or at an urgent care clinic within 24 hours. This will ensure that serious injuries do not go untreated, and that medical records exist of the link between your injuries and the Manhattan cab accident.
- Get everyone’s information and take pictures: If you can do so safely and without further injuring yourself, down your taxicab driver’s name, contact information, company information, driver’s license number, medallion number, and insurance information. If other people were involved in the accident, take down their personal information as well. It also helps to take pictures or videos with your cell phone of everything you see at the accident scene. These images may provide valuable evidence for your attorney.
- Beware of quick settlement offers: Never, ever, agree to settle or make things with the cab driver, cab owner, or anyone else’s insurance company, without first speaking with an experienced lawyer. Someone with legal liability to you might offer you a quick payment to try to avoid further financial responsibility for your injuries and losses. Taking that money could forfeit your rights. Say no thanks and leave negotiation of any payment to our skilled Manhattan taxi accident attorneys.
How We Help Our Clients
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, we pride ourselves on our strong, determined advocacy for clients injured in Manhattan traffic accidents, especially the potentially complicated crashes that involve yellow cabs. The services we provide to our clients vary depending on how best to meet our clients’ needs and goals.
However, in a typical representation, we may:
- Investigate the cab accident to determine how it happened and who was at fault. We have years of experience and know-how in tracking down and securing important evidence that helps to prove our clients’ case for damages.
- Communicate and negotiate with defense lawyers and insurance companies who represent parties with legal liability to our client. We handle the haggling over settlements so that our clients can focus their energies on recovering from their injuries.
- Litigate our clients’ cases in New York courts. We prepare careful, strategically sound legal filings designed to obtain maximum compensation for our clients either by convincing the at-fault parties to settle out of court, or by making our clients’ cases directly to Manhattan judges and juries.
In every Manhattan taxi cab injury case, our team’s #1 priority is serving our client’s best interests, which usually means pursuing the maximum compensation available under New York law. Our clients deserve nothing less.
Experienced Manhattan Taxi Accident Injury Lawyers for You
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a Manhattan taxi accident that was not your fault—whether you were a cab passenger, an occupant of another vehicle, a cyclist, or a pedestrian—then you deserve fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Contact Jacoby & Meyers, LLP today for a free case evaluation to learn about your potential rights to financial compensation.
Reach us today online, at (212) 445-7000, or through a webchat with one of our live representatives.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“David was always there for me to guide me through this difficult car accident. He helped me get better, was always there to listen to me and fought to get me an amazing settlement. I am very pleased with this beyond expectations result and his professional handling. If you need a lawyer, David and his team is the one to go to!”
Review by: Qing L.
Check out some of our other reviews.
New York, NY 10006