What information do I need to file a car accident claim?
When filing a car accident claim, you should have the following information:
- Your full name
- Your Insurance Card
- Street, city or county where the accident took place
- Date and time of the incident
- How the accident happened
- Name and contact information of those involved in the accident
- Driver’s license and license plate numbers of all drivers involved in the accident
- A description or picture of the damage to the vehicles
- Police report
If I was not wearing a seat belt at the time of my accident, can I still file a claim for damages?
Yes, you can still file a claim for damages if you were not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident. However, this fact may reduce the damage recovery amount. This is because many states accept a seat belt defense made to limit damages granted in a car accident claim. This simply means that in case you are injured in a car accident and were not wearing a seat belt, your recoverable damages may be lessened.