Surgical Patient Catches Fire During Procedure

Many patients fear the worst when going under the knife. One thing many don’t anticipate, however, is catching fire during surgery, yet that is precisely what happened during a procedure at NYU’s Langone Medical Center in December of 2014.

The findings of the investigation into the incident were recently published. According to the report errors made by medical personnel during the procedure resulted in the fire.

The report sites communication errors between the surgeon and the anesthesiologist as a major contributing factor in the fire. Due to a lack of communication between the surgeon and the anesthesiologist the patient’s life was put at risk.

Learn more about medical malpractice, including anesthesiology and surgical malpractice.