- SUNY Oswego, Bachelor of Science
- New York Law School, Juris Doctorate
Admissions & Memberships:
- State of New York
- United States District Court SDNY
- United States District Court EDNY
Mr. Zaransky is a trial attorney at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, focusing on Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect cases. Mr. Zaransky, a dedicated elder advocate, offered the following insights regarding nursing home abuse and neglect cases: We are fighting for people who cannot fight for themselves. Residents of nursing homes are some of the most vulnerable people in our society who very often get neglected and abused simply by being in a Nursing Home.
In September of 2014, after sixteen years of litigation in personal injury and commercial matters, Mr. Zaransky focused his attention on holding nursing homes accountable for their abuse and neglect. Since September of 2014, Mr. Zaransky has recovered nearly 10 million dollars for his clients through settlement and trial. Of note are settlements in the amounts of $1.2 million dollars, $750,000; $700,000 and numerous settlements in the amount of $500,000.
Mr. Zaransky has also obtained favorable decisions pertaining to nursing home care under NY PHL 2801-d:
- Benisatto v. Sprain Brook Manor, Supreme Court, Westchester County, Index No. 50475/2017: Denial of the defendants’ motion for summary judgment.
- Broderick v. Amber Court Assisted Living, Supreme Court, Nassau Country, Index No. 606249/2018: The Court denied defendants’ motion to dismiss pursuant to CPLR 3211 holding that the plaintiff sufficiently plead a cause of action seeking to hold an assisted living facility liable under PHL § 2801-d when the allegations establish that the facility provided services as residential healthcare facility beyond their license as an assisted living facility.
- Phillips v. Beth Abraham, Supreme Court, Bronx County, Index No. 306320/2008: The Court denied the defendants’ motions for summary judgment.
- Allicino v. Ozone Acquisition, LLC, Supreme Court, Nassau Count, Index No. 600130/16: The Court denied the portion of defendants’ motion for summary judgment which sought dismissal of plaintiff’s claims under PHL 2801-d which sought monies for damages and punitive damages.
$1,200,000 Settlement – Bronx County. A resident sustained serious injuries from a fall and subsequent pressure ulcer.
$1,000,000 Settlement – When a family member chose a nursing home in the Bronx, they expected their loved one who was suffering from diabetes and kidney failure would be properly cared for. Unfortunately, our 65-year-old client was neglected after developing skin breaks on each foot. One of the wounds became infected as a result of neglect and she ultimately underwent amputations of her foot then her leg below the knee. During her recuperation in the hospital and at the nursing home, she was confined to bed for extended periods of time and, due to lack of care, developed a significant bed sore on her low back. The week of jury selection the nursing home finally increased their offer to $1,000,000. The case was handled by our Nursing Home team of Managing Attorney Michele Haber and Trial Attorneys Michael Zaransky and Gustavo Alzugaray. Read More
$850,000 Nursing Home Settlement – Kings County A man paralyzed from the waist down developed a sacral bedsore during hospital admission and deteriorated at a nursing home.
$725,000 Settlement – Bronx County. A resident developed an ulcer on his lower extremity which resulted in an above the knee amputation four months prior to his passing.
$525,000 Settlement – Westchester County. A Nursing home resident was subjected to four months of neglect and abuse where she developed pressure ulcers and had to be hospitalized at the direction of the family due to sepsis resulting from aspiration pneumonia, dehydration and kidney failure.
$275,000 Settlement – Queens County. A 84-year- old resident fell and sustained a fractured femur in an assisted living facility requiring surgical intervention to repair the fracture. The resident passed away approximately 7 weeks after sustaining the injury.
$225,000 Settlement – Bronx County. A 88-year-old resident who lived in a vegetative state repeatedly developed aspiration pneumonia and oral thrush as a result of the facility’s failure to provide all necessary care, treatment and services to enhance or maintain the resident’s existing quality of life.
$270,000 Settlement – Brooklyn Nursing Home. Read more.