Richmond University Medical Center (RUMC), situated in West Brighton, recently became the target of a substantial ransomware attack. The cyber attack led to widespread network disruption, hampering the hospital’s smooth operations.
Staff members reported multiple challenges after the cyber assault. A gradual buildup led to the complete system shutdown, starting with sporadic outages.
As a result of the systems coming offline, the medical staff had to manually enter crucial patient data. Furthermore, nurses shouldered the responsibility of intensively monitoring patients without the aid of automated systems.
What Patients Can Do
In the wake of the Richmond University Med Center data breach, patients might understandably feel anxious about the potential misuse of their personal information.
Here are some essential steps that patients can consider to protect themselves:
- Stay Informed: Ensure you’re up to date with official communications from RUMC.
- Monitor Financial Accounts: Regularly check your bank statements and credit card transactions for any anomalies or unauthorized activity. Promptly report any suspicious activity to your financial institution.
- Credit Monitoring: Enroll in a credit monitoring service. These services can provide real-time alerts if they detect any changes or suspicious activities on your credit report.
- Enhance Digital Security: Update your passwords, especially for accounts that contain sensitive information. Use strong, unique passwords and, where available, enable two-factor authentication for added security.
- Beware of Phishing Scams: Cybercriminals might use the information they’ve obtained to create convincing fake emails, messages, or calls. Never respond to unsolicited communications, especially if they request personal or financial details.
- Secure Personal Health Information: Request a copy of your medical records and review them for any discrepancies. If you notice treatments or prescriptions you didn’t receive, report it to the medical provider.
- Stay Calm and Proactive: While it’s natural to feel concerned, taking proactive steps is the best way to ensure your information remains safe. By being vigilant and staying informed, you can significantly mitigate potential risks.
Lastly, if you have concerns or are unsure about any communication you receive concerning the breach, don’t hesitate to contact RUMC directly for clarification. You will want to take precautions rather than regretting not doing so later.
Contact a New York Data Breach Lawyer at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP
Data breaches can have long-lasting effects on your personal and financial well-being.
If you or a loved one was a victim of a data breach like the one at RUMC, we can explain your rights and the potential legal implications.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP, is here to support and guide you through these complex situations. Our dedicated team can offer advice, legal representation, and the peace of mind that you’re not going through this challenge alone.
Reach out to New York personal injury attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP today to protect your rights and explore potential legal remedies. You can call us now for a free case evaluation. We are ready to protect your rights and financial future.