Before its ban in 1978, most household paints contained some amount of lead. Used as an additive to enhance color and increase durability, lead is a highly toxic substance. Lead-based paint can enter the body such as through direct ingestion or through airborne particles from deteriorating lead-based paint. Even relatively small amounts of lead can cause serious problems, especially in children age six and under. Some symptoms of lead paint poisoning include:

• Nausea
• Stomach pain
• Sleeplessness
• Irritability
• Headache
• Seizures
• Metallic taste in the mouth
• Coma

If you suspect you or your child has suffered from lead-based paint poisoning, see your doctor immediately. If left untreated, lead poisoning can cause permanent damage. The lead paint attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers can help you receive compensation for your damages if you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to lead paint.