Immigration Law Attorney

Jacoby & Meyers’ family law attorneys help with divorces, mediations and all other attendant issues, such as child custody disputes, property division, and spousal support. If you are in the situation where you think you may need a divorce attorney, contact us for a consultation.  You should feel confident that your attorney listens to you and is knowledgeable about all of your unique circumstances.  Because we also offer estate planning and other services, we can think about all of the issues that need to be considered.  This can be a painful, stressful time.  We can help give you the reassurance that you have powerful advocates representing you.

  • Adoption
  • Child support
  • Custody / Visitation
  • Divorce
  • Divorce mediation
  • Legal separation
  • Orders of protection
  • Prenuptial agreements
  • Spousal support (alimony)

Immigration Law

At Jacoby & Meyers, we are committed to bringing families together. We can help you obtain your green card based upon a family relationship.  Basically, family immigration is limited to sponsorship by close family members including spouse, mother, father, sons and daughters, and sister and brothers.   Jacoby & Meyers also provides legal representation for green card holders and other family- related immigration issues.


A guardianship is the establishment of a person who has the legal responsibility to care for a minor who is taken from the parents’ charge. Know that if you voluntarily pass on guardianship of your child, you will no longer have the power to make decisions about your child’s life. An aspect of guardianship that is often overlooked is the establishment of a guardian over a child in the event of the parents’ death.

None of us expects to die, but if you have a child, establishing a guardianship in the event of your death is a crucial step to take in ensuring their well-being. Guardianship of the estate occurs when a minor receives assets from a deceased person, either through probate court proceedings, or is the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. If a minor receives property, the property must be under the charge of a guardian.

Living Will

A living will is not a will in the legal sense of the word; it is actually the combination of a medical power of attorney and a financial power of attorney, and states who will be responsible for making decisions about your health and your estate in the event you are medically incapacitated. To find more information about living wills, please consult our Durable powers of attorney page and contact our living will attorneys today.

Orders Protection

If you are experiencing domestic violence or spousal abuse, it is important to seek legal protection right away through a restraining order. There are three options for seeking an order of protection:

• Lower criminal court
• Family court (non-criminal)
• State Supreme Court (in the context of a pending divorce)

Although applications for orders of protection are usually filed by individual parties, we can file the paperwork necessary to get started. Our goal is to help you take the necessary steps to keep you and your children safe.

Not everyone who has an order of protection issued against him or her is guilty of a family offense. Many times an individual will falsely accuse another of domestic violence in an attempt to obtain a strategic advantage in a pending divorce. If you have been falsely accused, we can help you explore your legal options. If you need to obtain an order of protection or defend your against one, please contact us today.

Please contact our attorneys to receive help in making all necessary legal actions to quickly and effectively resolve your family law disputes.