Brooklyn, N.Y. – On Wednesday, October 21st a paramedic was stopped at a red light while transporting a patient past a Brooklyn school when elementary school officials began banging on ambulance doors.
According to the paramedic school officials directed him into the school; a little girl had choked moments prior. Upon entering the school he found the student on the floor. Her lips had turned blue, she wasn’t breathing or speaking and had begun foaming at the mouth.
The young girl was transported to an area hospital where she is now on life support and possibly brain dead.
The incident has raised questions amongst the community and the little girl’s family; did the school act quickly enough? Why wasn’t 9-1-1 called sooner?
If a child is choking it’s important to know what to do in order to prevent serious lasting personal injury. The unfortunate chain of events that occurred in the Brooklyn school on Wednesday is proof of this.
According to the Red Cross if a child is unable to verbally communicate their okay you should call 9-1-1 immediately.
While waiting for 911 there are additional safety measures that should be taken. These steps vary based on the age and size of the child. For more information click here.
Parents, educators, school officials, and anyone who cares for children should know what to do in the event of an emergency. If you feel as if the negligence of a trusted adult resulted in injury to your child contact an attorney to discuss your options.