Motor Vehicle Accidents
Being involved in a motor vehicle accident is overwhelming. Taking care of your injuries, worrying about medical expenses, repairing or replacing your vehicle, and dealing with insurance companies can take over your daily life. You are not alone on this long road, we can help. The lawyers at Jacoby and Meyers have been assisting accident victims in the New York City area get back on their feet physically and financially since 1979.
Get the Facts
Motor Vehicle Crash Facts
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, 2014 Statewide Statistical Summary states that:
- There were a total of 299,452 crashes in the state of New York State in 2014, only 254,829 were reported by the police.
- Of those 299,452 crashes, 996 were fatal. All fatalities were reported by the police.
- Of the 299,452 crashes,118,465 were non- fatal personal injury crashes, only 108,862 were reported by police.
- Out of the 299,452 crashes in 2014, most occurred between 3pm and 6pm (65,433) and on Friday between 3pm and 6pm (11,182)
- Fridays yielded 49,259 accidents in total for the year 2014, with 155 of accidents being fatal.
- Crashes with human factors accounted for 200,052 (78%) of all crashes in 2014. 839 crashes involving human error were fatal.
- Alcohol involvement accounted for 7,391-2.9% of all crashes, 102 being fatal.
- Driver inattention /distraction accounted for 48,774 or 19% of the crashes. This was the most common contributing factor to crashes. 100 crashes were fatal and 24,201 resulted in personal injuries.
Who Is at Fault and Liable for Your Accident?
Motor vehicle accidents may be caused by many different actions, such as:
- Driver distraction
- Texting/Phone Use
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Following too closely
- Disregarding traffic signals
- Inclement weather
- Vehicle manufacture or design defect
- Deliberately dangerous driving, i.e., road rage
Fault for the accident typically lies within the state statutes, which regulate the manner in which drivers must operate their vehicles on public roads. A violation of any of these statutes creates a general presumption of negligence. Statutes relating to drunk driving and texting/phone use while driving presume intentional misconduct or recklessness. If more than one motorist is found partially liable, state law dictates who must pay for the damages and/or injuries.
Whether you have been in a fender bender or a catastrophic collision that results in minor injuries, disability or brain / spinal cord damage, we will help you uncover and prove fault and liability. Our attorneys have the experience auto, truck, bus, taxi, motorcycle, boating, train, subway, and pedestrian knock down accident victims need to win.
Types of Compensation
Vehicle accidents can leave you the victim of severe, and possibly long term, injuries and financial hardship. You need to be compensated for your loss. The lawyers at Jacoby and Meyers will help you recover:
- Medical Expenses – Past, present and future expenses relating to hospital stays, ER visits, medical treatment, and rehabilitation
- Property Damage – Cost for repairing or replacing vehicle
- Lost Income – Wages lost from the time of the accident to the end of the lawsuit
- Future Lost Income – Future wages lost due to an injury or disability caused by the accident
- Pain and Suffering – Damages for physical pain and emotional distress endured as a result of the accident, i.e., depression, anxiety, insomnia
Experienced Accident Attorneys on Your Side
Our attorneys battle with insurance companies on a daily basis. We know what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve. When you retain Jacoby and Meyers, you have a skilled, experienced legal team on your side – from accident investigators to financial and medical experts to lawyers with a track record for obtaining successful settlements and awards for their clients. You get personal attention and vast resources to go against big insurance companies. We can even help you find doctors to assist with your medical treatment, as well as file disability claims.
No Legal Fees Unless There is a Successful Settlement or Verdict
We are committed to providing affordable legal representation to those in need. Our personal injury clients pay no attorneys fees until and unless we successfully settle your case or win a verdict in your favor.
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury from a motor vehicle accident, contact our attorneys today to schedule a free consultation.
Motor vehicle accident FAQ’s