Cancer Misdiagnosis Lawyer
There is a surprisingly high rate of cancer misdiagnosis that occurs yearly. According to data found in a 2013 Boston Magazine article nearly 700 hundred million dollars are wasted yearly in the United States alone because of either a cancer misdiagnosis or patients being given the wrong treatment(s).
Recent studies show approximately 12 million adults are misdiagnosed every year, misdiagnosed patients represent roughly 5% of all outpatients. Experts believe that half of all patients whose conditions are misdiagnosed are at risk for severe harm.
So why does cancer misdiagnosis happen? There is no easy answer, but many agree
there are contributing factors that lead to misdiagnosis.
- A lack of a thorough exam
- Lacking knowledge of patient and family health history
- Patients not accurately providing medical history
- Diagnostic testing errors
- Test result interpretation errors
- Common symptoms being overlooked, like cough, abdominal pain, and shortness of breath
- Specific types of misdiagnosis include (but are not limited to): breast, liver, and lung
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a cancer misdiagnoses contact us today. Click here to learn more about medical malpractice.
Sources: Boston Magazine, Cancer.org