You are here
Pedestrian Fatalities on the Rise, Why Walking has Become so Dangerous
The Governors Highway Safety Association recently released a report that shows the number of pedestrians killed in traffic last year climbed 11% from the previous year. According to the NPR, that’s the biggest single-year increase in pedestrian fatalities ever, and the highest number in more than two decades.
So what has caused the sudden increase in pedestrian fatalities? Experts cite a number of reasons, including:
- There are more drivers on the road now due to low gas prices
- Drivers AND pedestrians are distracted by their cell phones
- Failure to yield
- Driver impairment, including alcohol, marijuana, and over the counter medications.
It is crucial that drivers are aware of the behaviors that put pedestrians at risk. If a driver chooses to drive recklessly and causes an injury, we’ll hold them accountable. Click here to contact us today.
Learn more about pedestrian safety:
- Young People and Pedestrian Safety
- Safe Walking Crash Course
- If You Have a Cell Phone, You’re at Risk. Pedestrian Fatalities are on the Rise
- Walkability Scored, Why We Earned an ‘F’