Anyone who had ridden the subway in New York can tell you that it’s the quickest way of getting around New York, but there are a multitude of things that can make your subway experience less than fun. Accidents that involve subways, buses, trains and other forms of mass transit operated by the MTA can be very complex so getting the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney is imperative. When mass transit accidents happen, injured parties and families of people who were killed face a variety of complicated legal issues.
Some of the common causes of MTA (Manhattan Transit Authority) accidents are:
- Operator error: Distracted, fatigued or inexperienced drivers or operators can cause bus, train and subway accidents
- Excessive speed: Subways, buses and trains that are traveling too fast can crash into other vehicles and pedestrians
- Mechanical defects and defective parts
- Poor maintenance
The MTA is a public corporation that oversees various types of public transportation in the greater New York City area. They are responsible for the following types of mass transit:
- New York City buses
- New York City subways
- Long Island Railroad
- Metro-North Railroad
- Seven bridges including the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge, Henry Hudson Bridge, Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge, Robert F. Kennedy Triborough Bridge, Throgs Neck Bridge, and the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
- Two tunnels including the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and Queens Midtown Tunnel
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is responsible for investigating most MTA accidents. The MTA itself and other local and state investigators and police personnel may also take part in an investigation. Given the complicated nature of these accidents, the best and wisest course of action is to call the experienced, effective and compassionate attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY. We know how to help, and we will stand by your side during the entire process to help you get the compensation you deserve. Get legal services that are second to none. Contact the personal injury attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY. Call 877-504-5562 or email [email protected].