The taxi has become the iconic method of transportation for New York. An aerial view of New York appears to be a sea of yellow due to the thousands of taxis on the streets. With so many taxis, accidents are not an uncommon occurrence. Most times they are minor, but some accidents result in serious injuries and fatalities. If you have been involved in an accident with a taxi in the Bronx, you should be aware of your rights and legal protections.
The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission regulates the operation of taxis. They require that drivers are trained to drive safely and be courteous at all times. They also provide safety measures for riders, including seat belts for all occupants and banning driver cellphone use while driving unless a hands-free system is being used. Some of the most common reasons for taxi accidents are:
- Fatigue: Taxi drivers work very long hours. Consequently, their judgment may be impaired, and their reflexes may be slower when responding to sudden events.
- Violating traffic laws: Taxi drivers in a rush and feeling stressed may make aggressive lane changes, tailgate, or speed to transport passengers to their destination.
- Distracted driving: Any activity that takes the driver’s attention away from the safe operation of the taxi is potentially dangerous.
- Weather conditions: Inclement weather creates hazardous conditions for drivers to navigate. Snow, ice, freezing rain, etc., combined with heavy traffic, can be deadly.
- Visibility: Studies have shown that due to its bright color, yellow taxis have less accidents than taxis painted duller colors.
- Driving under the influence: If you are driving with anyone who appears intoxicated, the safest course of action is to find another taxi.
- Although the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission is responsible for inspecting, repairing and maintaining all taxis, vehicle malfunctions such as tire blow-outs, broken seat belts and brakes that suddenly fail may occur.
- New York streets are infamous for their potholes. Driving carelessly over a pothole can cause passengers to become injured.
- Construction: Construction zones are very common and if they are not appropriately marked or contained, taxi drivers may have a difficult time navigating their vehicle safely in those areas.
If you have been injured in a taxi accident, you need the help of a knowledgeable and experienced attorney in the Bronx who will determine the responsible party and help you get the compensation you need and deserve. Call Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY at 877-504-5562 or email [email protected].