If you believe that someone you love in a New York State nursing home is being abused, the most important action to take is to make sure that the suspected victim is transferred to a safer environment immediately. Once this has been completed, there are several important steps you can take to make sure that the abuse does not happen again.
Below is a list of agencies and individuals that are responsible for handling nursing home abuse and neglect claims in New York State.
- State Long Term Care Ombudsman, New York State Office for the Aging (518) 474-7329
- Greg Olsen, Acting Director, NY State Office for the Aging
- Senior Citizen’s Helpline: 800-342-9871
- Licensure and Certifications, Keith Servis, Director
- New York State Department of Health, Div. of Quality & Surveillance for NHs: (518) 478-1020
- Medicaid Fraud Unit Control, William Comiskey, Director
- Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of New York, Office of the Attorney General: (212) 417-5250
- Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrator, Diane Lenzner-Cohen
- Board of Examiners of NHA, NYS Department of Health: (518) 408-1297
- Medicaid Agency, Kathryn Kuhmerker, Deputy Commissioner
- NYS Dept. of Health, Office of Medicaid Management: (518) 474-3018
- Protection and Advocacy System, NY Commission on Quality of Care/Mentally Disabled (518) 388-0690
- Adult Protective Service Agency, Susan Somers, Assistant Commissioner
- NYS Office of Children & Family Svcs., Bureau of Adult Services: (518) 402-6782
- Citizen Advocacy Group, Geoff Lieberman, Executive Director
- Coalition of Institutionalized Aged and Disabled: (212) 481-7572
- Cynthia Rudder, Director, Long Term Care Community Coalition: (212) 385-0355
It is an overwhelming task to attempt to handle this on your own. The best course of action is to contact an attorney who has experience in handling nursing home abuse cases in New York as soon as possible.
At Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY , an experienced and compassionate attorney will remain by your side throughout the entire legal process until your case is settled or a verdict is reached.
Call the New York nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY to get the help you need.