According to the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, there are 43 certified nursing homes in Brooklyn, New York. If you are tasked with the responsibility of finding the best nursing home in Brooklyn for a loved one’s care and treatment, there are some things to research before choosing the right one and other things to look for when you are visiting the facility.
When compiling a list of the best nursing homes, some of the research that might be helpful when making a choice are:
- How many violations, if any, the nursing home has received
- What the severity level of those violations were
- If the violations or deficiencies were corrected and how long it took before they were corrected
- If the residents’ complaints needed immediate investigation (involving harm, injury or death) or were non-immediate (involving less serious harm to a resident’s mental or physical status)
If you have narrowed down your choices and want to begin visiting the facilities, there are some things to look for during your visit.
- Make sure there are policies and procedures to prevent negligence or abuse
- Make sure that hazardous or unsafe conditions, if present, are corrected immediately
- Make sure that residents are able to socially interact, when possible, with other residents
- Make sure that the medical and social work staff are able to discharge their duties without obstacles from the administration.
- Speak with residents to gauge their feelings about being a resident in the nursing home
- If the nursing home facility population is largely comprised of residents with Dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease, understand that the staff will experience higher levels of stress and possible burn-out as these residents require a higher level of care
Unfortunately, the average time between government inspections of a facility and any fines or penalties being imposed on that facility has gone from six months in 2007 to four years in 2015. This long of a delay allows a nursing home to continue to provide substandard care for a longer time before corrective actions are taken.
The more information you have before choosing the right Brooklyn nursing home, the more informed choice you’re able to make. If you suspect that a loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, contact the skilled and knowledgeable attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY. We have decades of experience in handling nursing home lawsuits and are ready to help you get justice. Call Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY at 877-565-2993 or email them at [email protected].