Nursing home neglect and abuse is one of the most concerning risks our aging population is facing. In New York alone a study published by Cornell University found that the overall number of instances of elder abuse was 24 times greater than the number of instances reported to the authorities. This represents 260,000 of New York’s elderly residents who fall victim to abuse every year.
The documented statistical facts show the severity of the problem. A study reported by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services found that:
- 44 % of nursing home residents reported experiencing abuse
- 95 % of nursing home residents had either witnessed or experienced at least one incidence of neglect
- Over 5 million elderly Americans suffer from some form of dementia. Approximately half of these individuals experience some form of abuse.
- Physical, psychological, and financial abuse of the elderly costs an estimated $8.2 billion every year
- The risk of death for nursing home abuse victims is three times greater than that of individuals who have not been abused
- Elderly abuse victims frequently exhibit heightened levels of psychological distress
The National Center of Elder Abuse stated that:
- Over a million seniors experience neglect or abuse over the course of one year, many of which are nursing home patients
- Of the over 500,000 deaths reported in nursing homes each year, only a small percentage is reviewed by Coroners
- One out of every five incidents are actually reported
The objective of nursing homes should be to help to the elderly and others with special needs who are unable to live alone and are in need of 24/7 care. Nursing home neglect claims are quickly becoming the a means of fighting this horrendous situation.
Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY
A recently released New York State report concerning nursing home abuse has emphasized the abhorrent conditions present in nursing homes in New York State. In response to this, Jacoby & Meyers, LLP NY has formed a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Elder Law Lawyers Group to address these issues. The group is composed of trial lawyers who are experienced in handling nursing home abuse cases and who are compassionate about elder care. We are ready to fight for you and your loved one. If you suspect someone you know has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact us immediately. Call us at 1-877-504-5562 or email at [email protected]