After multiple injuries and fatalities NYC’s Department of Buildings has released a new elevator safety campaign: “Stay Safe. Stay Put.”
In 2015 two people died attempting to escape stalled elevator cars. Fifty one others were injured on elevators.
Here are some elevator tips from the Patch.com/Department of buildings:
· Look down and make sure the elevator is level with the floor while entering and exiting.
· Do not exit the elevator if it stops more than 9 inches from the landing.
· Press the “door open” button to hold elevator doors open instead of using any part of your body.
· Never lean on elevator doors.
· Keep clothing items like ties and scarves clear of closing elevator doors.
· Be patient and don’t crowd the elevator. Too many people crowded into elevators can cause it to get stuck.
· Don’t jump in elevators — jumping can make an elevator uneven with the floor. You can also get stuck.
Source: Patch.com/Department of buildings: