On Thursday, September 24th a fire broke out in a Brooklyn apartment. According to Fire Marshals a pinched extension cord caused the blaze.
Tragically a 10 year old boy was unable to escape his apartment and died in the blaze. His father, who struggled to save him, reported to the Times that his he was “safety conscious” and didn’t allow candles, matches, or smoking inside of his home.
According to Marshals there weren’t any working smoking alarms in the home.
The death of a child is awful. The preventable death of a child heart wrenching. It is a well-known fact that smoke detectors save lives. According to the New York City Rent Guidelines Board landlords must provide and install working smoke detecting devices.
If you are a New York City apartment resident we urge you to check your smoke detectors, if your landlord has yet to provide one file a complaint immediately. For more information click here.