Two serious accidents results in multiple fatalities on the Taconic State Parkway this past weekend. Of the three tragically killed in the crashes, one was a toddler from the Bronx and two were from Brooklyn.
The Taconic Parkway is well known and commonly traveled due to its beautiful sights. For New Yorkers escaping the concrete jungle the Taconic is a popular roadway. When traveling the Parkway, it’s important to remember that driving conditions may prove hazardous to the unsuspecting driver.
- Twists and Turns: The Taconic is by no means a straight shoot. The road hosts many hills and twists and turns.
- Animals: Depending where on the Taconic you find yourself, it can feel as if you in a safari. Deer, possum, bear, you name it are inhabitants of the woods surrounding the parkway.
- Virtually No Shoulder: If a motorist is pulled off the side of the road, much of their car will likely still be protruding into your lane.
- Crossroads: Throughout the Taconic there are crossroads and intersections.
- Wrong-Way Accidents: The Taconic has seen a unique number of wrong way accidents, which occur when a motorist travels the opposite direction on the roadway into oncoming traffic.
- Visibility: Much of the Taconic is not lit by street lights. Moreover, when you make your way further upstate, depending on what time it is, its not uncommon to be the only vehicle on the road- making visibility challenging to say the least.
- The Speed Limit Is Key: Because of various reasons including those listed above respecting the speed limit on the Taconic is crucial.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle crash on the Taconic Parkway, contact a Jacoby and Meyers personal injury lawyer today.