Dollar store steals may sound too good to be true, because they are. The list below highlights popular items with potential hidden dangers.
1. Electronic Accessories: Various accessories, such as USB charging cords, extension cords, and phone charger cables have tested high in chlorine. This indicates the items may have been made with a plastic called polyvinyl chloride, or PVC (which is made from vinyl chloride.) Vinyl Chloride is known as a cancer causing agent.
2. Plastic Kitchen Utensils: High levels of bromine leave household items less resistant to fire yet also are linked to cancer, birth defects, and impaired brain development.
3. Flannel-Backed Table Covers: Testing exposed high levels of lead which is especially harmful to fetuses and children.
4. Metallic Christmas Garlands: High levels of bromine which seeps into household dust could possibly leave you at risk for thyroid problems, memory impairment and other health issues.
5. Silly Straws: This item contains a phthalate, which may interfere with the body’s endocrine system, and possibly cause or enhance asthma and allergies, prostate and testicular cancer, and type two diabetes.
6. Vinyl Floor Covering: High levels of phthalates and chlorine could have negative results on several parts of our bodies.
7. Holiday Light Strings: This item also contains high levels of chlorine and bromine, which have been linked to thyroid problems.
8. Metal Children’s Jewelry: These items carry high levels of lead which can easily seep out of jewelry when scratched or licked. Even small amounts can harm children’s brain development.
9. Metallic Beads: Yet another item with high levels of bromine, linked to cancer and thyroid problems.
10. Window Clings and Removable Wall Stickers: These decorative items tend to include PVC. The American Public Health Association has warned PVC is among the most hazardous of plastic materials.”
Source: Women’s Day