The weather is warming up and we’re seeing more and more cyclists around the city. Now’s the time to brush up on your bicycle safety tips, whether you are a motorist or a cyclist to avoid injuries and fatalities this season!
1. Always wear a helmet! For tips on purchasing the right helmet, check out our blog.
2. Ride in designated bike lanes only! If one is not available, ride on the right hand side of the road alongside the parked cars.
3. Learn the proper hand signals that cyclists should always use.
4. Wearing more than one earphone while riding is illegal. Did you know that? Check out more NYC laws for cyclists.
5. Use headlights and red taillight. Also be sure to have a horn or bell and reflectors equipped with your bike.
Avoid getting into a serious injury while biking around the city. Check out 2013’s cycling injuries in NYC and don’t let yourself become a statistic.
1. A cyclist has the right of way if they are the first to stop. The first vehicle in the intersection goes through the intersection first.
2. Never drive in the bike lane. It is for bikes ONLY.
3. Share the road!
4. If a cyclist is using a hand signal, respect it and give them the space they need.
5. Always use your turn signals as well!
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a bicycle-related accident, contact us immediately