Carbon Monoxide: Facts & Tips

carbon monoxide facts

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages. Carbon monoxide can cause serious side effects and even death.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you can’t see, taste or smell. Little kids are especially vulnerable to carbon monoxide because of their size. They process it differently than adults do. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea and drowsiness.

So How Can You Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

  • Buy a carbon monoxide alarm. Install these at every level of your home, especially near sleeping areas. Keep them at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
  • If you have a CO alarm, make sure it works!
  • Don’t use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, do not do it in the garage.
  • If using gasoline-powered devices, store gasoline in a locked location where children cannot access it. Keep only small quantities in an approved container that has a safety lock.
  • Keep gasoline away from any source of heat, spark or flame. Even appliances such as water heaters and clothes dryers can start a gasoline fire.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be serious and even lethal. Take the right precautions around your home. Contact us 24/7 for a free case appraisal.

Learn more safety tips by visiting www.safekids.org and get the CO information here!