Kid Safety: Batteries

Little kids love to explore. When they find new things lying around the house, what do they do? They put it in their mouths. As electronic devices decrease in size to benefit us as the consumer, the risk that our little ones will swallow them increases. Kids also love to take apart electronics which can expose little batteries that can be very dangerous.

Here are a few safety tips to make sure these batteries stay where they belong:

  • Keep coin lithium battery-controlled devises out of sight and reach of children. These include remote controls, singing greeting cards, digital scales, watches, hearing aids, thermometers, children’s toys, calculators, key fobs or decorations.
  • Learn the facts about button batteries. When a child swallows a button battery, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours.
  • Keep loose batteries locked away. Or place a piece of duct tape over the controller to prevent small children from accessing the battery.
  • Enter the National Battery Ingestion Hotline (202-625-3333) into your phone right now. Call anytime for additional treatment information.

Contact us 24/7 for a free case appraisal.

These safety tips can help save your child’s life. To learn more go to the Safe Kids website.

 

Image provided by: www.safekids.org